Author Topic: Millet in hay field?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Hummingbird Point

Millet in hay field?
« on: August 26, 2019, 01:33:39 pm »
Okay this a dumb question, but I figured someone here could give me a quick, simple answer:  I have a little hunting property in Central Virginia, which is next to a hay field.  While there yesterday I noticed all this stuff growing in the filed that looked kind of like small cattails, so I stopped for a closer look.  Some kind of millet.  Why?  I mean I get it, it's grass and can be cut for hay, but aren't all millets annuals?  In which case why plant it in a hay field?

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Millet in hay field?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 01:59:11 pm »
Future dove field?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 12:27:40 am »
Here Birdie, Here Birdie!  Thowoosh, thump!  Generally, baiting, but in crop land it is probably legal.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:57:12 am »
The dove field is a good theory.  Where it looks like the millet was heavily planted is on the side of the field bordering the backyards of 3 houses, the field owner and his two adult kids and their families, so it would be a very nice set-up for the family. I'm guessing they would let it go to seed, then cut the field and start shooting? 

I had a friend offer to take me dove hunting once, but I told him I'm such a bad shot, one would have to land on the end of my shotgun and stick his head down the barrel, and even then it would be 50-50.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 11:47:07 am »
I've had days like that!  Dove hunting uses up a lot of shot shells!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 07:57:59 am »
Are you sure its not sorghum? It is cheaper than millet, looks like corn coming up until it starts growing seed heads. Great for doves and they harvest the seed for bird seed and the like and roll the plant for feed.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 12:05:47 pm »
Now I'm not sure what it was.  They cut the that part of the field just before dove season, but the seed heads weren't really mature yet.  No one is hunting the field and the few times I've driven by, not a dove anywhere near it.  Eventually I'll run into the owner of the field and ask him.