Author Topic: Early doe  (Read 12535 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Early doe
« on: September 10, 2019, 09:38:44 am »
It’s early doe-only season in my county, and I managed to plunk this one yesterday.  Takes the pressure off for filling the freezer.  Naturally, I was surrounded by mature bucks all morning.  How do they always know?

Osage selfbow, cedar arrow, woodsman broad head.  Zipped right through.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Early doe
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:05:03 am »
Way to go, Tom! Gotta handle those buggers fast when its 80-90 degrees.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:22:58 am »
its already deer season?? nice doe though!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:57:52 am »
Nice hunting Tom. It is amazing how those nice bucks just figure out when it's time to disappear. It's nice to put some meat in the freezer and those darn does can really mess up your hunting later to. Some of those buggers just plain have a sixth sense.
Bjrogg
PS can you give a little more of a play by play? I'm really looking forward to hearing some good hunting stories.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 03:32:59 pm »
Congrats , nice doe and nice shot . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 03:45:38 pm »
Nice!  Now, about late season? (SH) :-D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 05:59:19 pm »
Nice hunting Tom. It is amazing how those nice bucks just figure out when it's time to disappear. It's nice to put some meat in the freezer and those darn does can really mess up your hunting later to. Some of those buggers just plain have a sixth sense.
Bjrogg
PS can you give a little more of a play by play? I'm really looking forward to hearing some good hunting stories.

Thanks, Brian and everybody else!

As for details, I was in a tree stand since before dawn in some woods on the edge of a freshly mowed field (no crop there this year).  A mature 6-pointer came and teased me for about 20 minutes, offering many shot opportunities.  I was frustrated at first, then amused by the irony of it, and enjoyed watching him at close range.  Three more nice bucks came along next, and I enjoyed that show also.  One was a large 8-pointer I hope to meet again next month.  The good news was that none of them got spooked, so my spot is still under their radar.

About 8 o’clock, a plump doe finally came along at the edge of the field at about 20 yds.  When she paused broadside, I drew and let loose.  She jumped, and I saw my arrow in the ground behind her, and she ran off.  I was sure I had shot below her and missed entirely, and my sulking began.  However, the arrow looked odd, so I checked it out with my binoculars.  It was covered in blood, and my heart raced.

I waited 20 min, then climbed down to check things out.  A short track along a good blood trail let to the deer 60 yards away, back in the woods.  The entry wound (opposite side from the picture) was a little more forward then the exit, and the arrow got some Serious vitals.  I got it dragged out (a pretty good haul), skinned and quartered in my backyard, and on ice in a cooler well before the noon heat set in.  Later that night, I butchered it and got it in the freezer - a rewarding day’s work!

I had posted this Bow a couple of years ago, but this is it’s first harvest:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,62142.msg870100.html#msg870100

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:08:03 pm by Stickhead »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 07:14:14 pm »
Thanks Tom,
Great story felt like I was sitting in that tree watching those sneaky bucks with you. Sounds like a good spot and you'll probably meet up with those bucks again.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 09:33:24 pm »
Nice doe, Tom.  Those bucks are just waiting to be taken by a stone-pointed dogwood arrow.  They want to go with some class.

I remember that bow from when  you made it.  It is a real beauty.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 04:07:34 am »
Got to be one of the first doe of the season with a bow for anyone. Congrats on a great deer and hunt! Zip Loc deer are my favorite. Less work and more play. Our doe archery season opens here on Sunday. I may have to slip out there Sunday evening after church. It only got down to 72 degrees last night. It was 94 yesterday afternoon. Not much fun in that. Maybe wait till Monday morning.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 10:28:02 am »
Nice doe, Tom.  Those bucks are just waiting to be taken by a stone-pointed dogwood arrow.  They want to go with some class.

I remember that bow from when  you made it.  It is a real beauty.

Thanks, Jeff.  I’m still building up my confidence for your arrows with my stone points.  I keep trying to improve my points.  We’ll get there!

Offline HH~

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 08:54:39 pm »
Nice table fair. Squared her up,  center shot. I like this.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 05:40:11 pm »
 :OK  Well done!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 02:54:35 pm »
  Great job Tom, nothing like getting the monkey off your back early...
                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline RyanR

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 07:27:50 pm »
Good way to start off the season.  :OK