Author Topic: Next project!  (Read 6242 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Next project!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 08:03:31 pm »
Hawkdancer! You habe a ponytail lying around? ???  Cool!  :OK Rambling is my one way ticket to leaning without asking! Wow i can get off topic quick! Do you think the design is good?

It's a veteran thing. I grew mine out to 26 inches.I have it also, gonna try to make a bow with it.

Is the design good for what exactly? What are you going to do with this knife?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 08:14:34 pm »
Im foing to use it for making my bows/woodworking. Im rethinking the design. Maybe more like a mora knife. You have any suggestions?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 08:21:26 pm »
I have been making bows with a knife for close to 10 years. My suggestion is to make one like the Ka-Bar fighting knife, and make it a 7 inch long blade. Its basically a Bowie knife. Howe9, there is no use for a sharp point, so round the tip all the way up like a machete  and make it a drop point, to provide a slanted surface at the tip to hold onto when using the knife as a scraper.

I will try to draw the knife up for you later. Or maybe a friend of mine has a pic of the one I designed specifically for bow making.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 11:30:47 pm »
I used one of my Buck 119 hunting knives on my first bow, worked pretty good as a scraper.  I would probably use my K-Bar for roughing out a blank, or get my friend to let me do it on his bandsaw.  I agree with Sleek, a drop point would likely be a better choice.  Personally, I don't think spalted wood will hold up as scales, the spalted maple I worked with seemed to have lost at least 50-60% of it's weight, and likely some of it's strength.  However, I like denser wood for scales, or antler. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry