Author Topic: heavy grain run out  (Read 2327 times)

Offline backtowood B2W

heavy grain run out
« on: September 13, 2019, 12:50:05 pm »
This is a 68" long elm stave I´ve chased a ring above the final back and thought I´d better ask around before more work is done. Never done elm and never had such heavy grain run out. The stave has been sawn and is seasoned 10 years min. The wood I worked down appeared very dry too me.
Thanks for advice  :)
B2W

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: heavy grain run out
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 01:42:20 pm »
That's not the actual grain pattern you see. Elm can have a weird wavy, snaky pattern on the back side, but its not how it truly is. Id say you're just fine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 05:22:27 pm »
The overhead view of the stave looks like it has been split out of the log, rather than sawn(or perhaps split then trimmed on a bandsaw). If this is the case the grain will be straight and you are okay.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 06:17:05 pm »
That’s typical for elm cambium, wouldn’t worry. Actual wood fibers can cris cross too but judging the cambium will make you expect worse.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 06:18:28 pm »
You can't really look at elm grain pattern on the outer ring and determine much.   It varies practically every year.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 06:29:23 pm »
What I was wondering is why you chased a ring in the first place
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 07:04:14 pm »
That's a good question too.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 07:29:51 pm »
Hadn’t noticed the chased ring. Was the runoff consistent or did it switch directions every growth ring? Ive had to chase rings on elm that got munched by bugs or had bad earlywood ratio and the fibers often change direction every growth ring and sometimes multiple times a season.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 03:17:18 am »
AHA!
Thanks for reply!
Why I chase a ring:
When I got this stave I discovered worms, and I had to remove most of the Sap wood.
Is Elm with Sap better than without ?
I didn´t recognize grain changing directions when chasing a ring but I didn't put attention to that elm specific habit as well. Finding the cambium layer is also impossible for me. But I have one ring to go down more so I will look for that.

Ok, went back to the stave and gave it a second look:
It has chainsaw marks on one side everything else have been bandsaw marks.
Made some close ups...
B2W

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 08:07:50 am »
Bugs is a good reason for chasing a ring. 

I've made several all heartwood bows and they worked quite well.  Chasing a ring on Elm is not that different than chasing a ring on Osage or BL.  The porous ring is usually thinner on Elm so a bit more care is needed
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 08:55:10 am »
Hope that one works out for you B2W. I've only done one Elm and honestly I should have got a lot more out of it than I did. Good Luck. It's grain looked just like that.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bassman

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 09:47:23 am »
Never chased the ring on Elm, but I have chased the ring on White Oak with  good results a couple of times.

Offline HH~

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 01:41:17 am »
 Yea i never chased in Winged or American elm. I did on a Red one time. Dont think it made much of any difference on bow.
Most elm i have used was very straight. Makes a tough bow. In really hot humid weather they will take some string follow. Not to worry, unstring put in a dry shed ot attic and they are back to tiller shape in no time.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW