Author Topic: Huntin with the Hedge 2019-20  (Read 77000 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Huntin with the Hedge 2019-20
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 05:40:01 pm »
Report was for east wind before sunup. Walked out about 0500hrs with East of the Sun West of the Moon static recurve I finished about last Christmas time. The call was for mid 50's early and 91 later and being its October 5th I could not put off my second morning hunt any longer. The wind call was correct after days of 90 degree weather the cool 54 degrees felt like a clean cold shower after 100 days in the desert.

Hunted a sycamore flat near my river. No food source in there just a travel route to cross the river on a small shoal of gravel. The deer use when they shift or get the urge to move a bit. I thought maybe this would be that kind of morning, Deer moving to better oak stands or wetter ground to look for Pawpaws that maybe left hanging possibly.

Set up and for first hour I thought "geeze its rather slow but a great morning. Turkeys are coming off roosts and raccoons were all heading back to den trees". Slow, maybe I was wrong about my gut felling? Hung my bow back up and caught movement, buck coming off high ground travelling with wind. Yep, young deer with 5-7 pts just high stepping for the river. He made a loop[ and came back by. Same time a family group of six deer came off same high ground, saw the buck and trotted away from him. They did go down bank and cross river.

Well Shoots, went to hang my bow up again and saw movement once again but close, 35yds. Big doe with deer in behind following. I had taken my finger glove off for some thing? Had no time to put it back on, thought "oh well see how this goes". The glove had made its way to my elbow now as I got bow ready to make a 20yd shot. The deer saw me draw and jumped a little but she presented a slightly better angle. I let loose, arrow flew true 30" Tamarack shaft with a Magnus 125grn took her high in left shoulder with lots of down angle. Shot felt solid even bare fingered.

She wheeled and ran and as she did I could see the crimson well up on her side in bright instantly. Very dry here so I could hear her run up the hill and through some brushy area and thought I heard a crash and thrashing. I waited a good bit and got down to see what the impact site may reveal. Once there I saw it was splashed with bright red. I packed my gear and grabbed my bow as I was purty sure what I heard was her going down. The blood was clearly visable as if spilled from a full paint can. Found the back half of my Tamarack shaft after 60 yds. Twenty more yards and there she was. The rest of the shaft and broad head lay under her it had just made it thru. That little static selfbow shot well.

HH~

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:42:08 pm by HedgeHunter »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 07:15:29 pm »
Well done!  She looks like good eating.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 10:22:23 pm »
Wow! Thats good stuff! Makes me feel like it was me there and suddenly i feel proud! If you think about it you completed the bows full cycle. Energy used to make a tool to get food to get energy! Something that you cared about and tuned so carefully has proven itself successful proving that you are successful. Good job sir!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2019, 11:52:03 am »
Way to go!  Hope the rest of the season goes well for everyone, and there are many more hunts posted! (SH) :-D.  I hope to score with my ML during rifle season, but I will have to modify my technique a bit!  Hopefully, a nice doe just walks up broadside within range.  We will be hunting sage/cedar/ ground cactus mix.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 01:37:47 pm »
Congrats... looks like a good eater.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 08:07:18 pm »
Had no doubt you'd be posting a successful hunt HH. No doubt you have her all taken care of to. Thanks for sharing your hunting story. I'll keep checking in. Guessing it won't be your last.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 08:57:07 pm »
Just getting started BJ. Been so warm. Weather is going to nose dive here in next week. When I say this i mean morning temps in 40s not 70s. Trying to stay out of my best areas. As you well know we have only a couple really good chances every season where a bunch of things must go right to make selbow harvest on a good buck. This next week may be that week?

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 08:02:39 am »
Got her! Nice work Shawn.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HH~

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 08:17:35 am »
Thanks PD. Still have not even got to my farm that needs some deer reduction Op’s on.

Be hunting a fuel pump for my GMC and cutting a hole thru bed to put the thing in today. What space shuttle engineer does not put an access panel in truck bed to service the fuel pump, etc. ! Time to make one dangit.

HH

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 11:40:47 am »
The old cutting out the floor or bed to replace the fuel pump trick ... much easier then dropping a gas tank with a bunch of rusted out straps. Been there done that

Offline sleek

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 11:56:44 am »
The old cutting out the floor or bed to replace the fuel pump trick ... much easier then dropping a gas tank with a bunch of rusted out straps. Been there done that

Done that myself. Have a friend on standby with a fire hydrant.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline StickMark

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2019, 12:54:33 pm »
Nice. Thought this might be a long thread, and then you did it.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2019, 01:01:52 pm »
Nice. Thought this might be a long thread, and then you did it.

I think he's just getting started!   :OK
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2019, 05:42:15 pm »
Thread will run thru bow hunt season as the hunts occur.

Pappy helped me get that pump done. Truck was dead at the bow shed. We got it done and ruined a perfectly good bow hunt morning!

Will check wind a pick a tree for morning hunt for 09 Oct.

HH~

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2019, 01:55:03 am »
That pump is at best in a very awkward position!  Too bad the engineer that designed it doesn't have to change all of them that go bad!  My son changed out mine, but told me told run the darned thing as close to empty as possible!  We don't get as much rust out here, but it was still a pita!  Good luck on the hunt!  We get high winds late today, and very cold and snow Thursday, like nearly a 70 degree temperature change!  That will freeze the (cannon) balls off the brass monkey (triangle brass rack)!!  Explanation for all non-military types, the brass rack would shrink in extreme cold and scatter the cannon balls! :-M >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry