Author Topic: Huntin with the Hedge 2019-20  (Read 76982 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Huntin with the Hedge 2019-20
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2019, 06:03:12 am »
If you have enough help you can pull box off by removing four bolts and lifting it off. The small boxes are pretty light. Then it's really easy to change pump.

Jerry I think one of the things that's hard on pumps is running below quarter tank. I might be wrong, but I've been told they are cooled by the gas.

Sorry HH. I'm sure you'll be hunting more interesting critters soon.
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2019, 11:17:50 am »
09 OCT

Got out for a sit this morning 52 degrees. Was in a stand deep in thick cover up a walnut tree. 0545 a deer passed under me. prolly a buck but I could not see it.

About 0740hrs I see some leaves moving off a deer trail, again along same trail. Sure enough a big doe is walking right along at a good clip. Travelling to a persimmon nearby no doubt. I draw and anchor and follow her as i'm swinging slowly. Just as the point of aim is on her brisket I release and the arrow goes right there. Arrow shaft brushes her chest and she jumps. 13yds approx. Arrow is buried deep in the leaf mold on forest floor. She goes upon her way.

Hunting with my 65" NTN super static, the fastest selfbow I have built.

HH~
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 04:08:58 pm by HedgeHunter »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2019, 07:32:26 am »
10 Oct

Very warm and large moon phase during the evening. Hunted the morning near river and there was no movement. Good morning wind was ESE and the leaves were raining down after sunrise when the wind picked up. Nice morning the Turkeys roosted in the same sycamore trees on creek and gliding down to a oak stand across creek.

Rain today later. Have some chores to get done so I can hunt Sat-Sun full stand days. Will likely hunt Fort Campbell as the training area's I like bow hunt will be open both days. Long walk in but its well worth the hike. The deer are no where near the body size I have here in my area but they are plentiful. See what happens.

HH~
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:03:29 pm by HedgeHunter »

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2019, 11:03:28 am »
BJ,  that is true about the 1/4 tank of gas, but getting to a bad pump is an exception.  I seldom get as low as a 1/4, never saw a pit stop I didn't like (lol)!

Good luck on the hunt everyone!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2019, 02:58:42 pm »
12 Oct 2019

Good cool morning, 36 degrees. Cold front came thru last evening and it was 80 at 1700hrs by 1900hrs it was 53. Cleared early however and that 2/3 Moon was setting as I left out at 0500hrs. Chose a spot I like hunt later in year but wind after sunrise was bad for my other sets in that area. Thought I may catch some deer moving to bed early.

Very still until about 0800hrs so I sat down in stand. Had my bear finger glove on and had my 65" HH Super Static hanging off branch. Was over a two track I cut last year into a place I call Cambodia ( thick and up and down). Not long after planting my butt in seat I catch a deers ear flip and sure enough deer are walking right down two track which goes right under me. I see a big lead doe and a broke horned small buck coming along.

I grab the Static and stand up slowly and see there are four deer coming in Ranger file. I also see that they are three little bucks following her. I get in position for a zero yardage straight down shot. The doe was the largest of the four deer I see. She comes down a steep bench and is right under me and I stop her. Got in a good arc bent over at waist and grabbed the deepest anchor I could and lined up on spine and sent arrow speeding for earth. It cought her right along spine between shoulder blades and out the bottom side.

She sped off around bend and the other bucks just followed along walking. Hang bow back up, check the time and reach for an arrow out of my quiver and I here a noise. I look on two track and there is a 6x4 dark chocolate horned buck standing on the bench looking at where all the other deer went. I pluck an arrow, nock it and watch this buck standing facing me for about 45 secs. He then moves to turn and I draw on him standing at about 18-19yds fairly level shot. I pick my spot and release. Clean arrow, it takes him right behind his left elbow but only penetrates about 6-8" as spins and rockets out and back into Cambodia.

Well, found the arrow about 15yds on trail. Very little blood at first. 60 yds in blood was very heavy and good color. After 400m in with one hole plowing my way thru the highlands it fades away. I am sure this deer is mortally hit. I saw impact and spot, he was hurt bad. Will get in there after him tonite. Hunt long enough and Murphy has a way of monkey wrenching even the best of conditions and shots.

HH~
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:04:23 pm by HedgeHunter »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2019, 03:13:47 pm »
so you got two today?

edit - oh, so your going to try to find him tonight! good luck!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2019, 07:00:39 am »
Hope you find #2 Shawn. Congrats on #1.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HH~

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2019, 07:22:06 am »
You know how that is Pearly? You hate it but it happens. If I could draw up a shot and make it that was this shot. I thought I would find this buck 100yds up the two track. I would not have even shot at him knowing the Cambodia border was less than 600m away. Hard to know you pooch it on a tremendous animal like that. Thing I have to keep in perspective is " today in after thought would not change a thing about that shot".

I do know where these deer came from. They came off my friends farm about 3miles away. I know this because there's not a place that has soybeans left standing in 5 miles and this doe was full of whole dried beans. The shortest way for them to reach creek I was on is to come over the ridge directly from his farm.

HH~

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2019, 07:27:34 am »
Same thing happened to me in 2017. Nice buck, perfect shot opportunity and no meat in my freezer. Its just part of the big picture.  I wont be surprised if you seem him again, or even get a second chance. Be nice to kill him and see exactly what happened the first time. Its very possible.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HH~

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2019, 07:41:13 am »
Aaah,

No one will see this deer on feet again. He's dead. When I see the arrow in his leg-pit 8" deep forward of the diaphragm its over. I may find him today? We know where he went to hole up. To much blood for survival on this buck. Cambodia is no fun.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2019, 10:08:00 am »
14 Oct

36 degrees under a late full moon this morning. Had two nosey doe cut my back trail and come right to my tree. The older of the two squatted down and pee’d right next to tree.

About 0825 two smaller passed by at 25yds. About same time i saw four deer pass on hill across creek. Nice sit. The turkeys roosted cackled as usual from same sycamores on creek bank. Warmed very quicky.

Miday Update Brother of the Selfbow.

Waited til 1230hrs and went up past Lil Cambodia looking for my buck. I humped up into the last area I made it to yesterday and checked a few gulches and swung to the creek. It was running fairly low so I went down bank and eased up round the last corner I had been into yesterday. Walking occasionly up one bank and then the other. I look upstream on shallow gravel bar horns sticking out of water. I had found my deer.

A nice October Selfbow buck. I will pull some photo's off my cel to post here as well. He went about 3/4 of a mile. Side sloping a ridge all way thru my Cambodian highlands to the creek. My shot was a little low and forward some. Why the penetration was not greater. Arrow did make to far ribcage but no further. He is a 5x5.

HH~
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:36:28 pm by HedgeHunter »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2019, 06:05:59 pm »
Nice! Glad you found him.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2019, 07:24:47 pm »
YES!!! I was rooting for you. Glad you found him. He's a beauty!
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2019, 05:06:29 am »
Knew you'd find him. Nice buck.
I've been way to busy to go hunting, but I've got my bow along. Not much chance, but better than no chance.
Haven't been on this site much lately but I still look in once and awhile.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2019, 06:44:11 am »
I was not sure I would find him. I was sure he was dead and I owed it to that fine animal to look until I had no more land to check.

Pappy and myself have spoke many times about deer hunting, deer hunting with bow and deer hunting with primitive bows, etc. We always come back to "there are a lot of things that must go right to get it done" why there are so few who hunt primitive I reckon.

HH~
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:59:24 am by HedgeHunter »