Author Topic: Huntin with the Hedge 2019-20  (Read 76995 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Huntin with the Hedge 2019-20
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2019, 11:16:50 am »
01 Dec 2019

0600hrs 42 degrees clear and wind coming up to 18-20mph from west.

Sat on east facing ridge looking into my flooded creek timber. Where I hunt sometimes is under 10ft of water. hunted upstream and watch a beaver in creek dragging leaves and grass into a bank den for a hour. Saw no deer in bottom at all. Did happen to see two bucks when I was coming out under powerline cut in brush. Will take some says for this water to get lower. Some colder weather will help as well.

Crows chasing and harassing redtailed hawk, beaver and a huge fat raccoon which climbed up into a hollow hackberry tree.

Good Hunting

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2019, 12:43:56 pm »
03 Dec 19

0500, 27 degrees, zero wind, high wispy clouds/clearing

Great morning. Hunted with my good buddy. Nice 3/4 mile walk in in half dry leaves. Hunted an east facing ridge. Right at 0630 the gray squirrels were out in force. I could see them in every direction I looked. Crows were flying at 1st light. Deer had been in the area I was in under the red oaks but just not this morning.
We stayed til just after 0900 as we had other tasks to get completed to hunt further toward end of week. Good walk out over and down the ridge and thru the creek.

Good Hunting

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2019, 06:50:24 am »
04 Dec 2019

30 degrees, freezing fog on river. I cant post here as I was Coyote hunting. Maybe Pappy will post on Lif is Gud or I can put it in Around the Campfire.

Good Hunting

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2019, 08:38:14 am »
06 Dec 19

0600hrs cloudy and 45 degrees. Have to process a deer today. Grind burger from Big Stinky. Cant hunt every day I guess.

Go to "Big Stinky" thread on Around the Campfire to see.

Good Hunting.

HH~
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:56:05 am by HedgeHunter »

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2019, 01:32:33 pm »
HH,

Great thread.  Thanks for posting and keeping your story going.  Also, thanks for your service.  I've been in uniform and now serving the Army as a DA Civilian for the last 43 years.  Not a Ranger though, so at least I still have my knees :)  You give me hope that I can figure out tree stand hunting before it's really too late for me.

Beautiful bows too.

Ted

Offline HH~

« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2019, 08:27:09 am »
06 Dec 19

Thank you Ted.

Like to get out in woods a lot but after the hunt there's chores and meat to attend to. So, yesterday was one of these days. I took and care of my deer from a couple days ago with some help. Had to take care my good friends boned out shoulders and trimmings that were in fridge.

Stopped at Food Lion and saw they had pork butt on sale so I grabbed 3ea. Headed to farm to grind deer and mix 25-30% pork in for burger and for brats making later in winter. Had some great help and after only 4-5hrs it was done.

Shared a nice looking backstrap with guys who helped me out and my buddy picked up his 20lbs of packaged burger on way home from the deer stand. I noticed legs hanging out his side by side on trailer in dark. I told him as a joke "next time your in the kitchen cutting wrapping, grinding, sealing and us fellas are hunting"!

I finished off my last Brats last week. Everyone who ate them wherever we went this past year really liked them. Great eating sausage. Just have to take them off heat earlier than pure pork brats. Like mine medium cooked. Had lots of them in hunting camp and many over fire pit at TO all year for quick lunch. Mix it up Deer burgers, then deer brats. Never get tired of them.

Good hunting

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2019, 09:18:21 am »
07 Dec 2019

Looking at a pic of this little static I hunt with. Almost a year old now.

HH~

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2019, 10:59:22 am »
Hedge,
Really enjoyed reading through these posts. Thanks for taking me along this hunting season. Haven't had much time myself this year so this helped fill the void. Steve
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline HH~

« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2019, 08:55:15 am »
12 Dec 19

27 degrees, clear west wind 2/3ds waxing moon

Have been out doing some management work on his hunt farm. Have not bow hunted in a few days. Been out just not with bow.

Don't worry hog hunting has not even started yet and they put some new area's into bow only in GA where I hunt. So, we are not done by a longshot for 2019-2020 season.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2019, 02:34:46 pm »
16 Dec 19

Evening hunt. Getting tough, have to hunt from purty him up tree! Guns have deer really jumpy. Did have 5 doe come in and feed just out of bow range. Right at last light coyotes got to yipping. Getting ready to head out to night hunt!
Had flooding rains my area is half under water! Cooling off now. Have morning appt will hunt tomorrow night. One more harvest will top me offfor making brats in Feb.

Take out Wrecked Bow tonite.

Good Hunting

HH~
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:00:00 am by HedgeHunter »

Offline HH~

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2019, 08:05:16 am »
19 Dec 2019

Not feeling to hot today or yesterday. Was not feeling to good anyhow, then had a Doc Appt and they gave me the Shingles and Flu Vac one in one arm one in other. Feel dog crap in a Dixie cup. I had Shingles already. Funny when I asked for a Vac for it 5 yrs ago the cheap Tri-Care monkeys would not give me one. Who knows with them folks.

Went out for a woods walk with Pappy about mid day to get some air. We found this guy dead and eaten up Buzzards and Coyotes. Was a good buck. Im sure he was gun shot and died on edge of a cedar thicket. Pappy had pic on Life is Good but I will share it here as well.

Will get this last deer with bow I need for Brats soon. Have to kill some Coyotes too. We did see fresh scrapes so there are some doe getting birdy for late rut here.

Good Hunting

HH!

Offline HH~

« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2019, 06:40:58 am »
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year you Hunters of the Hedge. Shooting into 2020.

Shawn~

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2019, 09:40:16 am »
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Shawn.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2019, 10:46:26 am »
Back at you, Shawn.  ho ho ho
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2019, 09:59:52 am »
27 Dec 2019

Trying to nail down dates for pig hunting in Georgia and or Texas/Ark in Jan/Feb. I am purty full here in Jan 2020. Thinking I may have to push it to early Feb. Be river and creek bottom hunting mostly that time of year. Get it where the soil is soft and damp where them critters can root and feed. My friend by Texarkana says they are in the bottoms know cleaning the last of the acorns out. Told to save me a few to kill with selfbow. I bring my climber with me so I can get on them up tight.

Shawn~