Author Topic: Huntin with the Hedge 2019-20  (Read 76984 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Huntin with the Hedge 2019-20
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2020, 11:35:31 am »
Been off the mainland for a bit. Was at the cabin on the west end of Oahu. Got to shoot with my old hunting buddy from Lanaii for a day. We did not hunt with all the fuss about the China Virus. Should have brought the bows to the river mouth here in the picture as there was a nice school of Papio feeding right at the mouth.

Photo of Cabin with the pig and goat country up high in background and then the other view looking toward New Zealand 5000 NM away. Guys were hunting pigs and deer season was open on Lanaii. Wish I had another week to go archery hunt there.

Hawaiian TP. We ran out.

HH~
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:44:07 am by HedgeHunter »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2020, 08:47:15 am »
The new 2020 hunt bow is about complete. Been shooting it in and tweeking the sight window. This was a belly split off a very large Hedge Apple. I got it from D'Wayne and Jamie at Buck Hollow as a gift payback for a stave I gave D'wayne made his Mojo bow out of. This is that very heavy dense dark orange wood. Added a little Shadua to the handle.

Hits hard for  a 46@28" 70" been shooting 200-250 grn broadheads on a 30" 23/64ths shafts running 650grns.

The neat thing on this hunter is that the lower limb is 3 rings down from the upper. You can see in the picture of the grip area the rings.
This happen because the lower limb has a big V trench (concave, more like a Vee) area where the upper limb ring was compromised so bad in the lower limb I had to keep going till I found a solid one.

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2020, 11:18:05 am »
Aloha, nice looking bow man. That's my style hunting bow right there. Simple and straight.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2020, 05:28:24 pm »
Looks like life could be worse, Shawn.  I like the green tp.  I think I'm going to be glad I never cleaned out my corn patch, before this is all over...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2020, 05:57:02 pm »
Think im gonna go put 25 young squirrels in the ice box.

Oh, that new Hunt Rig has Gaboon tips and hand rubbed wax and oil funish. Probably the best shooting selfbow i have ever scratched out with heavy arrows. Just a laser.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2020, 04:24:12 pm »
Took the new 70" Hunter out on the 25 Target practice range with a 600grn 30" arrow today with Pappy and Bart. Shot OK for first ten. After I settled in with I did light it up on the last 15. Dont think I shot any 8's. All good realistic shots on deer sized targets 13-24yds I figged. Bow just really heavy dense wood and very solid in follow thru. Arrow just never moves left or right much point of aim. Going to love seeing the first ACE 160 or 200grn arrow dissappear into hair.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2020, 07:46:57 am »
Two Hedge-Hunters and a Pappy Hunter.

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2020, 11:08:22 am »
Be Turkey time soon. Have a nice 190grn BH set up 50lb spine shafts off my wrecking bow that's going to get a workout. Still have my hunt clothes in deer shed hanging with the SB horde. Prolly work on my ghillie net and get it spruced up a bit. Have 3-4 nice gobs roosting right behind me in big sycamores hanging over river.
Ticks are out here already with this warm weather. What else is new!

Gobble Gobble

Good Hunting Selfbow Men

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2020, 05:59:04 am »
Wrecked be out soon.

HH~

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2020, 07:28:24 am »
Looking forward to the damage "Wreck" does soon!  Our season starts next Saturday.  Be out after them also.

Offline HH~

« Reply #160 on: March 29, 2020, 10:40:15 am »
Thinking of taking out the HHB 66" since it has a camo backing shoots good with a set of 60yr old PO shafts I put together recently. Some old horns from Ontario Border that reside on Pappys shed now.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2020, 08:21:41 am »
Split some yella wood Saturday and scraped a bunch too.

Little snow in elk bow camp. Got out and humped some of my Ballistic Armor Plates and a ruck full of bricks this morning. Got to stay ready for the hugh country come OCT.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2020, 02:26:20 pm »
Had a good walk about with ruck this morning. Made a big circle up on a ridge that follows river with a good look out to wheat fields. saw several nice groupd of turkeys blowd up with hens. No deer but plenty sign. Found some nice old Osage trees and bunch of nice HHB.  When I cut back up the hill ran into a nice group of 8-10 hens and two big toms. Not the birds there use to be in here but good to see some birds left.

Good morning.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2020, 06:43:39 am »
Made a new folder on my computer for Photo's. Was thinking what to call it?

So "Wuhan Days" it is.

HH~

Offline HH~

« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2020, 09:24:33 am »
More Wuhan Days

Opening morning of Turkey season. Nice 60 degrees, no bugs yet partly cloudy. Was don in river bottom in a hasty ground Ghillie net blind. Took the HHB 66" 44@28 deer killer. Made some arrows out of 60yr old shafts 30" put some old 90grn slotted 2 blades with a 100grn woody weight under it. Shoot very well.

Got in early had reconned the spot yesterday birds were in the area. Had Toms on every side of me gobbling off roost out of big sycamores. saw my first birds on ground about 0730, group of jakes and one hen. They passed by feeding and poking along creek. Had a hen come by later very close later. Fox squirrels, deer and wood ducks rounded out the morning

Had some kids go right by me on the way to the Stripe hole. So, that ended the hunt. Hope the kids get a mess of white bass!

HH~