Author Topic: Huntin with the Hedge 2019-20  (Read 77016 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Huntin with the Hedge 2019-20
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2020, 06:43:07 pm »
Cut thru my hunt beans on friends farm on way home today with wife. There were 8 bucks in beans four P & Y's and the giant double beamer. I had to drop mamma off at house I drover back as they were moving to bed. Had feeling this season was going to be a year for good antler growth and large bodied deer. Lots rain, cool temps, easy winter and a ton of early food.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2020, 10:21:08 am »
Since my Buck Holler bow chit the bed right before opening round of the Howard Hill Classic it was time for a new target model.

I got a gifted a a box from from Arvin right before the IBO Trad's Shoot. Open the box and a nice Arvin selfbow with a stave inside. Will shoot his bow this weekend in BH shoot in IN . Took the stave and made a super Arvin Killer 68" 40@28" pyramid. It got named Selfbow Sacrilege when the fellers seen it. Has a very large riser with thumb rest. Just the riser may weigh a pound?  Rest of it it is typical Arvin pyramid. Shoots like a scalded Ape.
Thanks Arvin!

Everyone's hunting fer something.

Shawn

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline HH~

« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2020, 06:41:52 pm »
Getting close fella's.

Almost time for a 2020 thread. Lots of rain here all season. Corn will come out early here and late beans will be king. Will get a an acre or two of winter wheat in this creek bed corner of this corn field soon as it comes out. Been a lunch box for deer come Nov and Dec.

Only thing that could really foul things up is if every red oak is heavy with acorns. That will make deer just hang off those stands and not move a great deal. On other hand, a early cold snap could negate this!

Going to have to hit it hard early season this year as I am out to High Country for 3 weeks later on.

Have made about 15 -20 selfbows this year and some need a good blooding. By me or their gifted owners.

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2020, 07:12:12 am »
Guess its time to start getting my gear ready for my trod out west. Hoping for snow in high country! I will get a week or so deer hunting here in Tenn before I go. Take some fresh whitetail straps with me for in camp.

Guys are taking some nice deer in KY with these really cool mornings we been having this weekend. Saw a couple dandy bucks harvested.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #214 on: September 08, 2020, 02:48:40 pm »
Been awhile since I did a R&D boo backed hunting bow. Hewed a core out of a stave by hand then, squared it and planed one side. Had a double tapered hickory lam made for core and a bacote power lam I made out of some scrap wood. 67.5", 1.25' core. Took the core and heat treated on 66" R & D caul and lamed it up two days ago. Reflex is 4" and deflex is 2". Looking at some scraps now for a riser. Maybe some shadua I have somewhere abouts?
Should be short enough for tree satnd and send an 575-600grn arrow 150fps without much trouble.

Good Hunting

Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2020, 05:51:15 am »
Floor tiller this Hunt Rocket and glued up a handle for it. Also made some Osage and zebra wood tips wedges for it. Will pit those on before final tiller. Should have this in the hunt woods by the opening day here. A friend is sending me some tanned elk hide so maybe I will find a way to use it on this bow.

Good Hunting
Shawn~

Offline HH~

« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2020, 05:28:37 pm »
Well folks. Almost time to migrate to the new hunt season 20-21.

Like my pic folder for 2020 im thinkin the thread will have the same name. Wont be year of the cat, dragon, tiger or bat.

Stay tuned we’ll have plenty stories heat ache and harvests.

Good Hunting

Hedge~

Offline HH~

« Reply #217 on: October 07, 2020, 08:02:04 am »
Hoped for 30K but fell short.

HH~