Author Topic: Rainy day job.  (Read 6093 times)

Offline backtowood B2W

Re: Rainy day job.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 02:57:31 am »
When it holds together, thats all you need. The look.... is always seen different by each person.
I actually made also my first spliced handles.
Maybe this help...
- a Z splice does the job as well.... less wedges - less work, more time for finess
- make the tips as wide as your saw blade

but I guess by this pile you gonna make a jig, which will definitely help too

Love your work and your tiller jobs are great.
Can't wait to see here all dressed up ;)
Cheers
B2W

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 08:28:53 am »
I can’t seam to get those z splices down. When I do one which is not often it’s a v splice.  Looks good BJ . Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 08:50:50 am »
Thanks Bob
That's a really nice looking splice there B2W. On a really challenging pair of billets.
Thanks Arvin. I did learn a few things. Now if I don't forget them before number 2. I should get a good bit of practice before I get through that pile.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bassman

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 09:58:17 am »
Nice bow Bjrogg.Nice splice job also Ba to wo. If you use a 4 to 5 inch v splice,and add a piece of wood on the belly side for the riser, and use smooth on that will work also.Never tried it with out the wood.Don,t know if it would hold up that way.

Offline HH~

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 05:05:07 pm »
 Nice BJ.

I like making billet bows. I usually cap the belly side of riser with like wood.

I remember talking with Gary D. He told me liked making billet bows and one stave bow is no better or worse than a billet bow.

Use good quality 2 part epoxy and a type that expands when curing and you GTG.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2019, 08:56:15 pm »
Nice work BJ! Other than making it much easier to find good bow wood, the thing I love most about splicing is being able to control the amount of deflex (or reflex) put into the handle.

Looks like you got enough good osage there to keep you busy for many a rainy day.  (R

Your bend looks stellar as always.  (-S
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2019, 08:58:47 pm »
Thanks Bassman and HH. No rain today. Dug sugarbeets today. Early delivery. They will go directly to factory.
I actually did build up the handle. I will probably wrap it and cover it to when I get another rainy day.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2019, 09:03:47 pm »
Thanks Jeff. I did like that aspect of the splicing. And yes more than a few rainy day projects there.
Bjrogg

Offline M2A

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 07:50:35 am »
Good looking lines on that splice. Great bend in that bow. Always nice to get a rain day after a long busy dry spell.
Mike 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 08:32:40 am »
Thanks M2A. Was up early digging beats but got rained out. Hopefully I don't get anymore and I can dig in a couple hours. I need to have 50 acres piled on headland by noon tomorrow. Got about 29 so far. Might get a chance to work on Rainy Day Girl for awhile. Hopefully not to long though.
Bjrogg
PS your right about the being nice getting a rainy day after a long dry spell. Funny thing is it's nice to get a sunny day after a wet spell to. ;)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2019, 11:37:44 am »
  From beans to Bows...Nice work Bj, looks real balanced and wouldn't expect anything else from you...Got me thinking of some Navy beans and Corn bread now! Dang it
                                                               Don
add in some ham with the beans, blueberry pie ala mode for dessert, and coffee, or iced tea!  Let me know when dinner is -C- >:D (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2019, 12:08:08 pm »
  From beans to Bows...Nice work Bj, looks real balanced and wouldn't expect anything else from you...Got me thinking of some Navy beans and Corn bread now! Dang it
                                                               Don
add in some ham with the beans, blueberry pie ala mode for dessert, and coffee, or iced tea!  Let me know when dinner is -C- >:D (lol)
Hawkdancer

My wife makes some really good beans. She always gets asked to make beans for all the gatherings. She won't tell her secret recipe, but I know it includes, ham, bacon, ketchup and mustard. There good and the more time you put them in the fridge and reheat them the better they are.
Bjrogg

Offline Will B

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2019, 05:34:35 pm »
Great looking bow!  Very nice splice job and handle. Looks like you have a nice supply of Osage!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 12:01:17 am »
BJ,  I know about those secret recipes!  We have one for spaghetti sauce that is the closest I have ever found to the original recipes from " The Hill" (Italian community) in St. Louis!  I once managed to at least get the ingredients for a whiskey marinade from a fellow chef in Nashville, he said just adjust until you like it, and it will be good!  Sort of like "parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme"; mix them the way you like them!  Your wife' recipe is close to the baked beans from back east!  I agree they get better with a bit of aging!
Wait!  This is a bow making thread >:D -C- (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2019, 08:18:59 am »
I got my secret bread recipe and pumpkin pie recipe! I can tell you that the bread has flour in it and that the pie has pumpkin in it! rest is classified. >:D

I just got some billets and am hoping to get a good splice from it! i'm excited!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.