Author Topic: Rainy day job.  (Read 6094 times)

Offline DC

Re: Rainy day job.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2019, 11:15:21 am »
We were out camping a bunch of years back and I decided I would make baked beans over the campfire. I picked a recipe out of a camping book. I soaked the beans the first night and spent the whole next day nursing the fire to keep it just ticking over. At the end of the day with great anticipation i dug into the beans. They tasted exactly like Libby's. I was so disappointed. They were quite good but I could have just opened a can.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2019, 11:35:51 am »
Thanks Will B i did finish up digging my early dig beets. Sun is shining again and lots of work to do around here.

Haha might have to get one of the moderators to move this to the cooking section.lol. My wife probably couldn't give you the measurements anyway. She cooks kinda like I build bows. Doesn't measure anything just does what looks right. Not afraid to experiment either. She puts chunks of apples, pears and bananas in cake. Calls it something different came. Funny thing is it's always something different everytime. My daughter in law is a good cook to and she's always trying to figure out how my wife is cooking stuff.

Yup DC. Making beans from scratch is time consuming. My mom always did our light red kidney beans. Navy's she usually just got from a can unless she was making bean soup.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2019, 03:43:16 pm »
My Mom used Kidney beans too. I like them better. I used Navy beans on my camping beans. Mistake.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2019, 11:43:16 pm »
We usually use  Adobe Mills Anazasi beans for ham and beans, and chili, and recently have been using Bush's Organic Black Beans from the can for the table.  Got both black beans and Anasazi beans in the garden.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2019, 09:30:28 am »
Uhhh, I use... Beans!  ;)

I always like looking at your bows bj!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2019, 02:07:21 pm »
Well we've been crazy busy. We did finish harvesting our Navy Beans. Got most of our wheat planted. Spread 500 tons of lime and 400 tons of bio solids on our clover cover crops.
It's raining again so time for a knap with my rainy day bow.

I knapped the point while the glue was drying on the copperheads.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2019, 04:03:40 pm »
  That ought to skin a fish! Nice looking Copper head skin also...
                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;