Author Topic: A couple projects for this weekend  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Josh B

A couple projects for this weekend
« on: September 14, 2019, 10:23:20 pm »
I'm surrounded by lefties!  A couple projects in the works this weekend.  man...has it been awhile since I did any bow work!   The longer one on the bottom is for one of my 4h kids that's been on my case for several years to make her a bow.  It's tupelo, 65" ntn and pulls 30#@26".
The bow on the top is for my son.  It's a piece of American elm that turtle and otter gave to me at the classic.  It's 60" long and pulls 25#@24".  Down to the finish work on them both now.

Offline burchett.donald

Re: A couple projects for this weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 11:01:06 pm »
 Nice looking bows Josh...What type of Tupelo did you use?
                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 03:05:53 am »
Glad to see You back Driver  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 06:52:52 am »
Cool bows, Josh. You keep almost as busy as Pappy.  8)
How does the tupelo work?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 07:42:14 am »
My first self bow was tupelo. I thought it was hickory at the time, and then the interlocking grain made me think elm. If you think elm is hard to split, tupelo can be just about impossible—swallows wedges without splitting like it was made of silly putty. Looking back it was a little compression weak but tough stuff, very hard to break. Lots of respect for anyone who can wrangle tupelo into a bow.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 09:08:26 am »
Thanks Don.  Black tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica)
Thanks Bob.  Glad to see your still on here driver!
I try to keep busy Pat.  The tupelo works great if you use a small tree so that you have a crowned back and wide flat belly.  This one was only about 2 1/2" thick.  So I tried to make up the difference in length.  It ended up not working as well and took 2" of set.  It still has decent cast, but I don't believe it will ever be hauled to Bonneville. 
Thanks santanasaur.  The first time I harvested it, I thought it was hickory as well.  Lol.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 05:18:02 pm »
Looking good  :OK . Be darned if can remember giving you an American elm stave tho  ???. Guess I'm  gettin old and forgetful  ;)
Steve Bennett

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 10:09:34 pm »
 I don't remember which classic it was, but I do remember it was from you guys.  Gunny is going to try it out Sunday.  We are going to try Archery golf for the first time.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 08:33:04 pm »
The tupelo bow was picked up by it's new owner.  She seemed tickled.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 08:36:53 pm »
My son was shooting in his new elm bow today as well.  He gave me the thumbs up to go ahead and finish it.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 09:47:33 pm »
I don't remember which classic it was, but I do remember it was from you guys.  Gunny is going to try it out Sunday.  We are going to try Archery golf for the first time.

I finally remembered giving you an elm stave, but I think it was rock elm.
Steve Bennett