Author Topic: Osage ELB Trade Bow  (Read 6143 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Osage ELB Trade Bow
« on: September 16, 2019, 03:05:51 pm »
I finally finished this one for the 2019 trade after four, yes, four failures.  It was a long, skinny stave from a 3" diameter branch I had cut and split in half.  I made the other half into a pyramid hunting bow years ago, but this more troublesome half sat in my shop for about 10 years, waiting for inspiration.  There wasn't enough wood for any kind of flat bow, so I went with an ELB.  I blatantly stole the design from a Badger bow he built in the 90's, and which I'm fortunate enough to have in my collection.

One limb was pretty clean and straight, but the other limb had plenty of problems - knots, twists, bends, and a nasty groove dug by a bug.  I was able to plug the groove with a sliver of osage and moved on.  I heat corrected the problem limb enough to get the tips lined up, and straightened it out the best I could.  After very gradual tillering, I got it to start bending like a bow.  I've found that I really like tillering with a scraper once I get a long string on it.  It's easier to make subtle adjustments, and when you're done tillering, there's hardly any sanding cleanup left to do, so you don't lose that 5# or so once it bends the way you like.

The bow is 70" ntn, and draws 54# @ 29".  My T-Rex arms can't draw that far, but I exercised it to 29" on the bench, and shot it in at 25".  It's 1-1/16" wide and 7/8" thick at the handle with a D-shaped profile, tapering to 1/2" x 1/2" at the tips.  I left it a bit stiff around the big knot, resulting in a positive tiller, so I put the handle right in the center.  Somehow, the full draw arc doesn't seem to show this as much as the braced pic, so I guess I did the right thing there.

I added some horn nocks I made from pet store water buffalo horns, a zebra-hide grip and arrow pass, and some black & white beads I made from a possum bone.  (I got an old zebra hide from a friend in the antique business who gave it to me cheap since it was a bit tattered.)  I added a hickory bark quiver to the package that I recently made after harvesting a bunch of hickory staves.

Sure was glad to call this one finished after all my miss-starts.  Any criticism is welcome.

...Tom

Offline Santanasaur

Re: Osage ELB Trade Bow
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 03:34:23 pm »
Stunning bow and awesome work. Hickory bark is awesome quiver material, the way it just curls up perfectly overnight is super useful.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 04:41:18 pm »
Nice bow, Stickhead and nice bark quiver.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 05:17:02 pm »
She turned out really nice. Well done.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 07:55:05 pm »
  Tom,
            That's a beautiful job on that character piece of Osage! Nice bend man
                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 08:11:16 pm »
Limb bow. Love it.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline M2A

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 09:15:03 pm »
That's one heck of a set. Nice details all the way down to the possum bone. That's going to make someone very happy.
Mike

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:48 pm »
I really like that now!  Love the character and that quiver is cool as well!

Offline kbear

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 02:04:46 am »
Nice combo Tom. You nailed the bend, and I love the details........ Thanks for sharing!

Offline simk

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 02:56:43 am »
That sure is a cool stick & quiver - as already said, that tiller is spot on!
--- the queen rules ----

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 08:01:06 am »
Awesome

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 09:10:23 am »
Wow, some great character there  :) ... nice to see the v patch on that groove worked out.
Lovely bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 11:28:15 am »
Very nice work!  On the whole package!  The recipient should like that. :BB (SH)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 11:38:31 am »
Very nice work Stick!  Beautiful full draw.  Wouldn't mind at all if that showed up at my door step!

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 12:55:50 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, guys!  And thanks for the advice on filling that crack, Del!