Author Topic: Dropping your arm  (Read 3468 times)

Offline DC

Dropping your arm
« on: September 17, 2019, 10:32:40 am »
At the range last night it was pointed out(again) that I'm dropping my arm. I fight it but I guess I'm lazy and it sneaks back. I did a little arithmetic and kinda figure that from the release until the arrow clears the bow takes about .03 seconds. Three hundredths of a second. The average reaction time is a tenth for a young guy. I figure I must be dropping my arm before or possibly as I'm releasing. Not that it makes much difference. If I concentrate on keeping my arm up(and the audience agrees) the arrow seems to hit about a foot high so there does seem to be a cause and effect here. Does anyone have a link to a slo-mo that might show this? Or any opinions about it and a way to make it go away? ;D

Offline Lefty38-55

Re: Dropping your arm
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 11:26:02 am »
I would opine that if your back muscles were properly engaged then the ‘push’ of the bow arm would go away. On YouTube, Clay Hayes has some very straightforward videos on engaging your back that really make it easy for people to understand, as per direct feedback from people of whom I referred to them.

This is what I do with new(er) archers ... put your bow in both hands, palms over, & dropped in front of you. Raise arms with hands up & elbows out the side, at shoulder level. Now pull ‘lightly l’ the bow against your forehead and try to ‘bend the bow’, feeling your back muscles engage. Use your elbows to initiate the force/movement, not the arms. That’s (back) what you should be drawing with and feeling ...

For me, performing bent over (flattened back) rear deltoid raises out the side, where I hold ‘up’ for a full count/pause ... pretending I’m squeezing or crushing something between my shoulder blades, has been a great training tool to be able to ‘feel’ the engagement. And of course there is the accompanying physical improvement benefit too!

But to properly LEARN the feel, start light in weight, really light ... just get used to that feeling of engagement.  Please come back and let us know how you make out!

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 12:15:06 pm »
Now pull ‘lightly l’ the bow against your forehead  that feeling of engagement. 

You lost me here ;D

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 02:44:01 pm »
DC,
        I know your not a hunter but you love to shoot targets...I have practiced my follow through religiously for many years...Not only does it help with accuracy but it keeps me from "flagging" the deer after the shot which could cause more panic and sometimes allows a follow up...I try to hold the bow on line long after the arrow has hit...Here's a short video...
                                                                                                                                                                          Don
                                                                                                                                                           https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PieiNlquQqE

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 03:19:18 pm »
DC, try a push/pull method of drawing. As you draw the string back push the bow forward. Working your bow arm like that should prevent dropping your arm.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 11:51:19 am »
Now pull ‘lightly l’ the bow against your forehead  that feeling of engagement. 

You lost me here ;D

Sort of like doing a curl with a barbell - bringing it to your forehead instead of your chest makes sure you don't just bend your elbows. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 12:50:43 am »
Maybe try to do your follow through past your ear and keep your elbow up.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Woodely

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 03:51:55 pm »
"I did a little arithmetic "  .........forget the math and just do what the Pros do and that's follow thru,  keep both hands in the same position during release and after the arrow hits the target.  No math needed for that Professional method,  that also eliminates early release.  Follow thru is follow thru weather its Golf, Tennis or whatever.

"arrow seems to hit about a foot high"  Mmmmmm is your nock point set right..?
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."