Author Topic: Sassafrass for Elb  (Read 6431 times)

Offline bassman

Sassafrass for Elb
« on: September 18, 2019, 07:21:29 am »
I have read were Sassafrass will make a good Elb. I have a long piece of it . Have any of you guys tried this wood as Elb? An inquiring mind whats to know.

Offline DC

Re: Sassafrass for Elb
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 10:10:26 am »

Sassafras in Europe and Sassafras in North America are two different species. They could be as different as Hard Maple and Big Leafed Maple. I think I've heard that one is good and the other ain't but I don't know which one. ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 02:27:46 pm »
The Thompson Brothers, the writers of "The Witchery of Archery" used sassafras for some of their ELB style bows. I've made flat bows with sassafras but it ain't the best bow wood. Might be better for ELBs but you'll just have to try it. Make a longer than normal for best results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 08:27:16 am »
I used American Elm instead which was a light piece of wood. Flat character back with rounded belly. At 70 inches only weighs 18 ozs. Grip is 1 1/4 by 1 1/4, and has an arrow shelf, so I guess it is a mixed breed. I built it at 40 lbs to use as a target bow. Shoots 154 fps with a 350 gr arrow. Turned out good for what I wanted to use it for. No set,and shooting an 8 strand FF string at 25.5 inches of draw.