Author Topic: Finish "blending"..?  (Read 2059 times)

Offline PaulN/KS

Finish "blending"..?
« on: September 19, 2019, 12:00:00 pm »
I had to do a repair and re-tiller on an osage bow and now have the bright yellow wood on the belly and a small section on the side of a limb. I left the older darker wood on the bow's back.
Any suggestions on a stain to blend the wood? If it was just the belly I'd let it go but since I had to remove wood from the section side of one limb it sorta looks weird.
And yes, I know I could just sand it all down but I really don't want to risk messing up the back.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Finish "blending"..?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 12:04:12 pm »
I say leave it Paul, it just looks cool if you asked me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 01:28:43 pm »
 You could wipe on strong ammonia until it’s the color you like. Household stuff could work, might come off a bit light. I’ve done this to age repairs on cherry furniture and to quick-age bits of osage.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 02:14:55 pm »
Ammonia eh..?
Might try that on that spot on the side of the limb then, as Pearly suggested, leave the belly wood as it is.
Thanks Guys.  :OK

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 02:28:42 pm »
After it’s darkened once you’ll be surprised how fast it will turn again after a day in direct sunlight.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 02:36:54 pm »
I sun bathe some of mine, and it is amazing how quickly the shade gets darker and darker. Each day is noticeable.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 02:46:54 pm »
That's what I'd do, lay it in the sun.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 05:17:06 pm »
Bleach it.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DLH

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 06:46:49 pm »
I say slap it in a tanning bed somewhere.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 08:50:30 am »
I too have noticed that old osage changes back to aged color again quicker.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 11:42:05 am »
I think that I'll just lightly sand the sides down to the brighter yellow and then leave it to darken as time allows.

Funny thing, we all think that sunlight is what darkens the wood but, over the years, I have split logs that had checks and cracks in the heartwood, well out of the light. The wood inside the checks was darker and I am starting to lean toward oxidation as being a cause.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 12:11:02 pm »
I store my staves/billets in a jet black corner of the basement, they get as dark as any of it. Sun speeds it up Im guessing. I laid a bow out in my lawn last summer. After about 5-6 hours I could already see where the string loop was, it was a few shades lighter.