Author Topic: Cross bow info  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Woodely

Cross bow info
« on: September 21, 2019, 02:02:20 pm »
I'm thinking of building a crossbow maybe around 80-120#.  What is the basic draw length for a crossbow using 20" bolts.   I know probably other factors like prod length etc.... right...?
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Cross bow info
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 03:27:29 pm »
Key factor is the prod length and material in addition to draw weight. Everything else comes from that.
Too long a prob and it becomes unwieldy, too short and you end up with a very short power stroke.
My current one (f/glass & Maple) is 37" prod with 12.75" power stroke, draw weight probably about 100#
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 04:16:21 pm »
Thx big Cat.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 08:02:17 pm »
Wasn't there just a primitive cross bow build along here ,,I wanted to try that ??? Jeffw

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 04:27:53 pm »
The usual double draw length plus 10 per cent applies for a target crossbow but here's the thing, pulling a string back 16 inches two handed while bended over is really unpleasant, I suggest you try picking up an anvil 16 inches off the floor without straightening up.  A 20 inch draw would mean a 50 inch long prod and that's pretty unwieldy. My current build has a 28 inch long prod and that's pretty wide,  Early wooden crossbows had longer prods and longer draw lengths, though, anything from 80 to 120cm long but I think they only drew to 12 inches or so, like this one

For hunting you need to keep the bow drawn for a really long time, so mid and late medieval bows were massively under stressed by having huge draw weights but drawn on a short draw, so a 28 inch wide bow drawn only 9 inches. This gives a power stroke of 6 inches resulting in a crossbow being equivalent to a longbow of 1/3 its draw weight. A 120lb crossbow is barely equal to a 40lb archery bow.

Sinew changes everything, you need to go with a shorter bow to get the sinew working, it also allows you to keep the bow drawn for longer, my 28 inch long yew and sinew bow draws to 11 inches and hits really hard at just over 100lb but I have mounted it in a much shorter draw-length tiller at 8.5 inch draw length (65lb) with a 5 inch power stroke. It is really unstressed so I don't have to worry about taking my time to aim.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:23:09 am by stuckinthemud »