Author Topic: Hackberry and sinew?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Mafort

Hackberry and sinew?
« on: September 21, 2019, 05:07:23 pm »
I have a 60” hackberry stave that’s proving impossible to chase a ring. I got it from a friend. Would hickory be a better backing? Bamboo? Rawhide? I was wondering is 60” too long to sinew back? I figured sinew would be fine on hackberry after I toast the hackberry belly. I have another one that’s 72” long so I’m not to worried about it. I was gunna toast the belly real well and then perry reflex the 60” stave with sinew or hickory but I wasn’t positive if that was a smart idea

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Hackberry and sinew?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 07:50:47 pm »
As far as using the sinew to get the benefits of it that would be too long unless your drawing it to like 32in. You could use a thin layer as a protection layer. In my opinion I'd shorten it and sinew it or maybe back with hickory or bamboo.
As light as hackberry is rawhide back would work but I think it would add alot of extra weight as well which will in turn make for a slower shooter

Offline Mafort

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 07:59:30 pm »
Well the guy using it has a 30” draw so Would sinew be effective then? Also wanted to try to receive it into a 5 curve kinda deal. Nothing to severe but enough to notice

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 08:43:00 pm »
Sinewing is fine at a much shorter draw as long as you reflex it.   Why are you trying to chase a ring though?

Offline Mafort

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 03:32:55 am »
He removed the bark with a knife and cut through the outer ring in several places

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 10:29:54 am »
60 will work,,,just make the non bending handle longer,,,less working limb like a shorter bow

Offline Mafort

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 11:25:20 am »
This wood is really clean with no drying reflex. You think I could turn it on it’s side to do like a Neolithic European type bow?

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 12:17:18 pm »
Brad, I agree. I have made longer handled 58 and 60 inch bows from Osage, and Black Locust, and Elm that worked out fine.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 12:38:09 pm »
Lots of reflex, like Pat said. I think your good.
BTW...I tried chasing a ring on a little short Indian bow a while back trying to get past some Powder Post Beetle holes.  Ended up in the burn pile. Just not worth the effort as it was nearly impossible not to violate the ring. I’m sure others have done it, but not worth it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 01:38:39 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.