Author Topic: What are primitive bows like  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
What are primitive bows like
« on: September 20, 2019, 04:07:40 pm »
So just a question but what are primitive bows design? not like a design but are they short? long? This is for elm BTW.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What are primitive bows like
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 05:33:03 pm »
Russell, it all depends of the people using them. Some are as short as 40"or less and other are 70" and more. Some are flat rectangular cross section where others are round cross section.
 My shortest elm bow was a 60" t/t static recurve. There is a build along in the "Archive" section I did from start to finish if you are interested.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 05:05:59 am »
check google for "Holmegaard bow"
those are ancient (probably the oldest bows discovered ever) elm bows found in north europe
I guess that the first 'models' were probably very similar to english longbows
have a look at otzi (the iceman) bow. That one was yew but other similar elm bow were found

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 07:54:36 am »
So just a question but what are primitive bows design? not like a design but are they short? long? This is for elm BTW.

I have to say your question is a bit confusing.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 11:25:44 am »
Might also check out the Meare Heath bow, found in Sussex, Wales - about 4,500 - 5,000 years old!  The term "primitive" is a bit confusing sometimes!  There are some good write-ups on line, but check their references and resources.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 07:31:33 pm »
On a recent episode of "Mystic Britain" they showed a bow that had been discovered recently in a bog in Britain. I didn't catch any details. Would anyone else know anything about it?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 08:26:54 pm »
On a recent episode of "Mystic Britain" they showed a bow that had been discovered recently in a bog in Britain. I didn't catch any details. Would anyone else know anything about it?
If you’re talking about the one that was found with the horse it was just a Holmegaard
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 09:03:57 pm »
       There are many Native American examples around to look at also...Depends on what your definition of "primitive" is...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 09:06:23 pm »
A horse with a Holmegaard, interesting!  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 11:05:58 pm »
If you’re talking about the one that was found with the horse it was just a Holmegaard
No horse that I remember. It was a very skinny bow, ELB sorta. They speculated that it might be quite light DW. I had the episode recorded but I erased it. I searched the net for it but no luck I believe it was the "Shaman" episode. I can't watch the video because i don't live in the states. It's on the Smithsonian Network.