Author Topic: Yahi Archery . . . Ishi style shooting  (Read 4230 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Yahi Archery . . . Ishi style shooting
« on: September 21, 2019, 04:03:45 am »
Saxton Pope was one of Ishi's doctors. He became good friend of Ishi and published the book, Yahi Archery, in 1918 . . . after Ishi's death in 1911.

This is a pdf file. There's no copyright issues associated with downloading/sharing it. Hopefully it adds to knowledge re Yani tribe's bow/arrow building methods and shooting techniques.

Enjoy.

http://test.scripts.psu.edu/users/d/j/djn143/Archery/Saxton%20Pope%20-%20Yahi%20Archery.pdf
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:38:22 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Yahi Archery . . . Ishi style shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 11:33:11 am »
On project gutemberg (gutemberg.org) you can freely and legally download
Hunting with the Bow & Arrow by Saxton T. Pope
it also contains a detailed history of Ishi's life

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 02:31:04 pm »
If you join OpenLibrary.org can download pdf of Ishi biography . . . Ishi in Two Worlds.

As I recall, Hunting with the Bow & Arrow by Saxton T. Pope has a chapter or 2 about Ishi. This book was my 1st intro re this fantastic fella. Too bad he succumbed to "white man disease" so quickly. This book, as I remember from over 50 yrs ago, is primarily focused on how Pope and his friends took archery HUNTING after Ishi's death.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 10:43:11 am »
I just finished reading this. Interesting read. It seems that Ishi was a good hunter but he was a lousy shot. Sounds almost sacrilegious but on page 124 Pope gives some American Round scores and Ishi didn't do well. Also Ishi was shooting a bow his entire life, his life depended on it, and yet in 3 or 4 months using the "English method" Pope was out shooting Ishi. It's very strange that what appears to be an ineffective shooting method lasted all those years.
He sure made nice arrowheads though ;D ;D

Offline wstanley

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 11:00:16 am »
DC: Saxton Pope also states he saw Ishi shoot a squirrel at 40 yards. Ishi probably shot at animals within 20 yards mostly. He wouldn't want to break those nicely made arrows on a far shot he would likely miss ; ) I don't recall the distances he shot with Pope (American Round) but I think they may have been farther than what he was used to shooting? I think those scores skew the reality of Ishi's ability. His method of shooting would take 4 seconds from the time the strung the arrow until its release, that's a quick release for shooting at animals close to you. Had Ishi been using the English method.... hold and aim he would have done better at Popes "white mans aiming game."; on the other hand, if he had used the English method to hunt...he would have missed those deer he lured in; to probably 10 yards, with his deer head decoy. His method of shooting was effective for what he needed. At least that's my opinion. Perhaps im biased. I only shoot the Ishi method way : )

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 03:58:21 pm »
I couldnt shoot a good score at anything,,
but if the deer is 10 yards, ,some might think Im a good shot,, ;D   

this is the way I kinda look at it,, if you are proficient at 10 to 15 yards,, u can take game and make meat,,even though someone might out shoot you at longer ranges,,
So for Ishi,, I am sure his style of shooting worked for his application,,in hunting,,
there is no doubt other styles work well or better for long range shooting,,or target shooting etc etc etc,,
   I find getting the timing right and knowing when to shoot,, at close range,, just as challenging or diffiult as shooting a target at long range,,                                                                                                                       so many factors come in to play on a close range hunting shot,,,, it is a total improvisaiton, that takes experience ,, skill and practice,, and many factors your are not in control of,,
    Shooting at a target,, you pretty much know the target gonna stay there till you execute the shot,, on game, you never know whats gonna happen,, and you just do your best,, sometimes requires a variation in your shot sequence,, that can be challenging,, If Ishi was able to take game with his style,, he was probably proficient as close range shooting,,, (-S

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:51:24 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 03:48:10 pm »
wstanley,,,

Another note of interest is,,Ishi procured meat with his bow,for himself and dependents,yet when Pope was hunting in Africa,if it were not for rifles,they would have had none...There's a whole lot more to successful bow hunting,than just shooting..