Author Topic: History of Country Music  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
History of Country Music
« on: September 24, 2019, 01:00:17 pm »
Anyone else watching Ken Burns' History of Country Music on PBS? If not, you are really missing something. As a kid we never listened specifically to country music(back then aka country and Western) but I was amazed how much on this music I am familiar with. Ken Burns does great documentaries and this is no exception.  :OK   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: History of Country Music on PBS
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 11:51:56 pm »
Not sure which episodes are which, but much of it evolved from the Scots and Irish who settled in and around the Applachians.  Also a very large Celtic influence the the Maritime provinces of Canada.  I have found several songs actually dating to before the revolution.  Please don't ask which, I'd have to reasearch again!  Did watch tonight about the 1970's and 80's, brings back memories!
Hawkdancer
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:20:22 pm by Pat B »
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: History of Country Music
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 09:19:34 pm »
We missed the first 3 episodes but got to enjoy the last 5 episodes. Ken Burns is such a genius. Everything he touches turns to gold and this history of country music is complete and exposes the scope of country music in America. Excellent!   :OK   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: History of Country Music
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 09:58:24 pm »
Got to have made a favorable impression on me!  I remember listening to Hank, Sr, Patsy Cline, and Johnny Cash, actually, the whole bunch in the 50's, 60's, and forward.  My wife told me this morning that I was singing "Can I Sleep in your arms tonight Lady?" in my sleep and in tune! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry