Author Topic: Can I make tanned leather thinner?  (Read 2483 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Can I make tanned leather thinner?
« on: September 26, 2019, 10:35:40 am »
I have a small amount of leather  from a settee  I would like to make a bit thinner. What's the best approach? Sanding, skiving or hammering, or something else??

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Can I make tanned leather thinner?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 11:20:59 am »
I think sanding would give a bit more control over the process, assuming you are only looking at a 1/16th inch or so.  Also , you want to be sure you are working on a solid surface with the piece secured.  I have had some success scraping as well, but on a thick piece of leather
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 06:15:47 pm »
There's a special tool called a leather splitter. They're quite a bit though so you might want to check with anyone you know that does leather work and see if you can just borrow one.
Trevor

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 10:00:27 pm »
Generally furniture leather is fairly thin. How thick is it and how thin do you want to make it? How big are the pieces?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 02:26:27 am »
The piece is 4X3 inches, it is 1mm (about 1/25") thick.  I'd like to take it down to 0.5mm (1/32).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 07:07:37 am »
Maybe tack it out and sand it thinner. A belt sander would do it but be careful to keep everything even and don't over do it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC