Author Topic: .45 Lancaster  (Read 19162 times)

Offline Parnell

.45 Lancaster
« on: September 28, 2019, 01:10:37 pm »
Starting to clean up the barrel
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: .45 Lancaster
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 02:02:53 pm »
Further down the rabbit hole, eh?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 07:23:36 am »
Ha!  Yeah, it continues, JW.  Did you get snow this weekend?
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:45:51 pm »
Ha!  Yeah, it continues, JW.  Did you get snow this weekend?

Not here,  but at higher elevations there was a bit. Nothing that stuck around.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 06:02:40 am »
Thought I’d post up on this project.  Breech plug, barrel, lock, and underlugs are all looking good in their placement.  I’ll likely drill my pins this afternoon after I measure and check it all again. 

I’ve been reworking my large powderhorn and am making a smaller horn, as well.  Also, I had sewn a basic bag.  Have to think about making another for this one.

I picked up a curved chisel for some inletting work...man, does that help.  Is properly called a gauge, instead?  Anyhow, onward.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 03:32:19 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 07:49:39 am »
Nice work, Steve. Looking forward to the finished projects and your first shot.  :OK    :-M
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 08:08:48 am »
Yep, that's a gouge. I bought a set of Flex Tool gouges when I started making guns, later I saw the advice on the gun building boards to only buy what you need instead of a set and the best quality you can afford. My set is a good one but I don't use two thirds of them, same with my chisels, I bought a set and only use the 1/8" and the 1/4", once in awhile I will use the 3/8" one

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 02:32:53 pm »
Looking good, Steve. keep the pictures coming. And, it's still hunting season till Feb. 15 up here, then small game season. Be fun with the smooth bores.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 07:21:01 am »
It would be, hmm, I’ll call.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 02:10:09 pm »
Would like to talk the trigger installation up.  So am I correct in understanding that this is a Sett Trigger, Double Lever?  I’m reading about proper installation in ‘The Art of Building The Pennsylvania Longrifle’.  Going to bevel the edges of the trigger plate and round them accordingly.

My concern is better understanding placement with respect to the two levers and the sear.  Also, this small adjustment screw which controls the rear sett trigger travel.’

My current understanding is 5/8” between pivot pin and sear. 

Thoughts?  Tips?
1’—>1’

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 02:25:02 am »
Good work so far! Can't wait to see the finished product! I'll be watching this one!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 08:31:58 am »
I have put in three DSTs, both had the sear bars contact the sear directly above the adjustment screw. My kibler kit was the last one and Jim had his trigger inlet shaped to have the trigger bars intersect the sear exactly like I have done it in the past.

I just found this, it shows exactly the position I install set triggers.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/pdfs/catalog/page_352.pdf

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 12:57:16 pm »
Ah, super!  Many thanks, Eric.  Keep you posted.  Thanks for the interest, guys.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 10:15:30 am »
Well, the trigger is coming together.  I've had to carefully file a significant amount from the set trigger to clear the sear and initiate the lock.  I didn't expect that much to have to come off!  But, it is beginning to catch and should come together well.  I read that TOW instruction about 20 times, so far.  It is making sense to me as I move through it.  It's amazing how I didn't understand the trigger in the beginning, at all!  I'll take some pictures later to update.  I'm glad I'm doing this though, makes me really appreciate the fine tuning of a lock and trigger.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 12:30:17 pm »
I’ve picked this project back up after finishing a couple bows for the nephews and taking care of some other things.

I’ve got the main bolt done and “buttoned up” the lock.  So far, so good.

On to the butt plate.  I’ve been considering trigger pull distance.  14-14.5” feels correct on a yard stick...so pretty standard, I suppose.  Any thoughts on this?  I imagine it is an individual choice.
1’—>1’