Author Topic: Couple of recent projects  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Mr. Woolery

Couple of recent projects
« on: September 29, 2019, 01:59:20 am »
Needed a poker for the wood stove.  Made one yesterday. 

If anyone is interested in the process, I also shot video, so you can see how I made it.  I mean, it is pretty self explanatory, just seeing it, but I always love watching the process.

https://youtu.be/VdNPhL1NPDg

-Patrick

Offline Mr. Woolery

Re: Couple of recent projects
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 02:02:49 am »
And a couple of recent knives.  These are too often called Viking knives, but I am unaware of any actual historical evidence for these in a Viking context.  Still, fun to make and fun to look at.  I love one-piece blacksmith knives.  They tell the whole story in one piece of steel.

Followed by a simple, basic knife.  Maple handle, forged blade.  It is a little bigger than I really wanted, but turns out to feel really good in the hand.  I'll add it to my spoon carving tools and use it for wasting. 

-Patrick

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 07:09:42 am »
very good video
I like making blacksmith knives also.
I use the horn and a straight pein hammer to draw out the tangs.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 10:42:55 am »
Nice. I've always thought that a knife has two important parts, the handle and about 1/16" along the cutting edge. The rest is fluff and lipstick. Although sometimes I like fluff and lipstick ;) ;)

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 12:49:17 pm »
Nice work,  thanks for posting.   Liked the vid, too.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 07:56:39 pm »
Those are nice
Is the poker forge welded at the tip or is it split I'm going to try making one of those this week I've been making some stuff for a show coming up in 2 weeks.

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 01:23:59 am »
The end is split with a chisel. The video shows the whole process, if you are interested.

I can’t quite get enough heat in the little forge to weld. And I’ve packed the big forge away for winter. Being able to forge at the end of September is a treat, actually. Years past, it was too cold at this time of year. Alaska is like that.

Nothing profound, just me having fun.

There’s more that’s only half done. I’ll try to get a few more friction folders done soon. I hate leaving projects in the middle, but with school and getting the house ready for winter, it is hard to find time to get to anything fun.

Patrick

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 07:12:36 pm »
I'll be watching the video