Author Topic: My first primitive kill  (Read 20590 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
My first primitive kill
« on: September 29, 2019, 03:40:31 pm »
After many years of trying and quite a few near misses, I killed this fat little muley buck this morning.  This is my first big-game animal with archery, and my first primitive kill of any kind.  27 yard shot; 60# black locust flat bow by Curt Brisky (with some modifications); home-made sitka spruce/wild turkey arrow tipped with a zwickey eskimo.  The arrow went in clear up to the fletchings, took him right through the heart and he went down pretty fast.

This is a really important kill to me for a few reasons.  Besides the firsts, it also marks the end of a long archery losing streak for me.  I've missed shots at two elk and several deer over the past few years because my head starts messing with me.  A couple times, I've gotten so flustered I made bad shots.  A couple other times, a little voice in my head said, right as I was drawing, "You're gonna miss.  Something always goes wrong."

Well, that's no fun.  This past summer I spent a ton of time researching the art and science of archery, instinctive shooting in particular, and practicing, practicing, practicing.  Today, when the time came, my heart was pounding just like other times...and I picked a little dark patch of hair on that deer's boiler room, and put my arrow right into it.

DANG, it felt good seeing that arrow strike home!  Tenderloins for supper at Badger Manor tonight!

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline sleek

Re: My first primitive kill
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 04:26:47 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS! That's a nice body on that guy, lots of table fare! 27 years is a hell if a reach, good job on that too!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 05:31:09 pm »
Congratulations, well done. 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 06:35:28 pm »
 Congrats...That is a natural high you will never forget...
                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 07:30:12 pm »
Congrats...That is a natural high you will never forget...
                                                                                    Don

You're not kidding, Don.  I think my family is getting a little tired of hearing about it.  I'm sure they'll get used to it eventually...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 08:17:21 pm »
Ahhhhh! getting the blood flowing just hearing about it!!!

27yrds! dang! my friend is pressuring me into going hunting with a wheels bow but i want my first deer to be with one of my bows, get the high plus the first kill! Remember this day!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline HH~

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 08:41:04 pm »
Very nice. Like the dark color on his chest.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 08:44:32 pm »
Congratulations on your first Primitive kill. That's what it's all about. It's what makes hunting like this so addictive to me. Keeping it all together, getting that shot off and putting that arrow where it needs to be.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 07:18:29 am »
Fantastic! Most of us have or will go through all of the things you have went through. I can feel your new found confidence from here :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 10:51:03 am »
Congratulations!  That is a long dry spell and great persistence on your part!  Just seeing game that close gets your adrenaline going!  Good hunt!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 12:50:15 pm »
Thanks for the support, everybody.  My wife and daughter are very happy for me, but I think they're getting a little tired of hearing about it.  It's nice to share it with people who understand.   (SH)

Ahhhhh! getting the blood flowing just hearing about it!!!

27yrds! dang! my friend is pressuring me into going hunting with a wheels bow but i want my first deer to be with one of my bows, get the high plus the first kill! Remember this day!

Stick to it!  Or switch to a compound, if that would make you happy.  That's a personal decision everybody has to make.  My compound buddies certainly get more kills.  But compound bows don't make sense to me.  If I want to just get a kill, there's always my trusty .270.  The whole point of archery, to me, is the challenge, the tradition, the connection to the animal and to my ancestors.  I don't get any of that from a wheely bow.  And after shooting glass bows for years, I decided I might as well go all the way.  My flatbow shoots just as well as my old fiberglass/wood recurve, so why not?  If I'm going to use a bow, might as well use a BOW.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 01:00:49 pm »
Im definentially gonna stick with it! Its too rewarding!  :BB (SH) :-D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 09:27:12 pm »
Congrats, WB. Well done.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 09:49:12 pm »
Im definentially gonna stick with it! Its too rewarding!  :BB (SH) :-D

Don't just stick with it. Stick and string with it!

Nice work on a nice little table buck, Badger. You got something to whistle about now.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 06:27:23 am »
Congrats, very well done. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good