Author Topic: another bow, black locust flatbow  (Read 6043 times)

Offline dantolin

another bow, black locust flatbow
« on: September 30, 2019, 05:47:02 am »
Hi all!
I finished a black locust bow last days.
It comes from a pair of branches of black locust given to me by a local gardener. It has a very nice color this particular black locust wood, with some nice "black" areas. As they cut it just to arrange the tree they were short in length, so I had to splice them on the handle with a Z splice and to add a bit of wood on the belly side of the handle.
I didnīt want to touch the profile of the resulting stave, so it had (and has) a lot more reflex on the lower limb than in the upper one. It makes tiller a bit weird visually talking, but it feels good to me on the hand and acceptable for what I see. A total amount of about 1"1/2 initial reflex.
I wanted to try a pistol-kind handle and I decided to do it on this bow. Pretty comfortable too on the hand.
66" ntn and 44# at 26"
20#@14"   24#@16"  27.5#@18"   31.5#@20"   36#22"   40#@24"   44#@26"
I wanted to show the splice and the color on the handle area so I didn't put leather on it, I just put some leather thread crossing on the handle area. Burned arrowpass mark.
Oil based finish and a bit of wax mixed with oils on the last coat.
Linen string.
Thanks for watching!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:45:00 am by dantolin »

Offline mikebarg

Re: another bow, black locust flatbow
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 04:01:13 pm »
A tiller like that would be a real challenge for me . I like things to look symmetrical. Good work. I like the dark brown finish. Looks good !

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 04:35:09 pm »
    The wood grain in that handle is gorgeous, I see why you didn't cover it...Nice looking bow...
                                                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline M2A

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 07:53:54 am »
Nice job on that splice. I agree with not covering up that handle. I like to see the grain and craftsmanship in areas like that. I suppose all wood types are like this but I been finding it interesting on how many different shades of color bl comes in.
Mike       

Offline dantolin

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 08:09:41 am »
Thank you very much, mates!!
Yes, the color on this black locust is very dark-brown, with a bit of honey color on it, and it has areas a lot darker, almost black, specially near the handle and tips.
Time ago I cut a black locust that was almost "black" (I thought that this was the reason to call it black locust, but I'm not sure, cause most of them are more yellow or camouflage greenish than this specimens. But usually those dark ones are denser...)
Hugs from Spain!

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 01:50:03 pm »
Awesome! How does black locust compare to Osage in performance?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 07:23:58 pm »
Beautiful work!

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 08:59:17 pm »
Good Job! The handle grain is awesome!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline dantolin

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 04:31:31 am »
Thanks, friends!
Razorsharp to kill: I have only done one osage bow, and I have another stave prepared... I live in Spain and here we don't find it easily. I work a lot with black locust on the other hand... I felt osage bending easier than black locust...Locust usually needs even thinner limbs than the osage that I worked. but listen to others that have more experience with both bows what they have to say!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 12:17:04 pm »
That's one cool looking bow!  Great work!

Razor, I can't really compare either, having very limited experience with osage.  But my black locust flatbow is a canon, and pretty darn near indestructible, too.  I love it.  A very under-rated bow wood, IMO.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline dantolin

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 03:03:16 am »
Thanks, wistlingbadger!
yes, I totally agree with you in black locust performance. If you find a dense enough log, and there are black locust trees really dense it's a very good shooter!! (In my experience the darker the denser).

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 09:11:33 am »
Mine is sapwood, I think--much lighter color.  I had to stain it so it wouldn't stand out in the woods.  The color on yours is beautiful!  I always prefer naturally dark wood to stain.  Your arrows look great, too.  What kind of feathers are those?  Did you glue and wrap, or just wrap?  I fletched my last batch of arrows with raw wild turkey feathers, and it's a learning experience.

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline dantolin

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 06:10:20 am »
Hi again and thanks, Wistlingbadger.
Those are bi-color goose feathers. I did primitive glue applied hot and put the feathers then, and it had a long time for correcting and wrapping them with a very thin hemp thread . Glue was done with 1/3 pine pitch, 1/3 wax and 1/3 ash. The shaft is a plum shoot.
Cheers,
David

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 07:00:27 am »
Nice!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 10:39:17 am »
I like the handle a lot, but in my opinion, the unbraced picture does not justify the extreme unbalance of your tiller.  I see hinges and stiff spots on the top limb, and the last 2/3rds of the bottom limb look very stiff.  I wonder if you have lots of hand shock when you shoot this?  If not, and it shoots smooth and straight, and it holds up over time, then it doesn't matter what I think, and you should enjoy it.  It is beautiful wood.