Author Topic: Been a while - couple of questions  (Read 1503 times)

Offline OTDEAN

Been a while - couple of questions
« on: October 02, 2019, 08:00:35 am »
Hi,

Its been about 2yrs since Ive been bending wood so I am a little rusty.  I am back to making bows and wanted to ask.

1)  When tapering thickness is dead centre the middle of the measurement from tip to tip or nock to nock where the string sits?  I can't remember.

2) How do you put a brace on a little piece of wood like a crossbow prod?  I normally do step through or push/pull on my bows but this is likely to break the small prod.

Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Been a while - couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 08:58:18 am »
The center from nock to nock or tip to tip should be the same place. Most measure their bows from nock to nock but I measure mine from tip to tip. The center is the center no matter how you measure it.
I can't help much with a xbow prod but I would imagine you'd need to use a stringer or bracing jig to brace it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Woodely

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 10:23:20 am »
 "push/pull on my bows"   tell ya a little story I just broke a bow after 3000 shots always braced it using a stringer,  then one day I tried bracing it using the step thru method and it broke.   I normally use a stringer on all my bows;  it only takes once not paying attention and putting more stress on either limb and Bang...!!
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 03:03:16 pm »
"push/pull on my bows"   tell ya a little story I just broke a bow after 3000 shots always braced it using a stringer,  then one day I tried bracing it using the step thru method and it broke.   I normally use a stringer on all my bows;  it only takes once not paying attention and putting more stress on either limb and Bang...!!

Took three people to teach me that.  :-[  ;) I always want to know why, not to annoy people but because not knowing leads to failure! and i learn some cool stuff! thanks for being patient Dvs, ryoon, and bj!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 05:20:51 pm »
You know that ryoon is our homeboy psychiatrist, don't ya?   ;) ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC