Author Topic: Sanding out scratches  (Read 2012 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Sanding out scratches
« on: November 09, 2019, 07:51:31 am »
Hi, all.  I hunted some pretty gnarly country this year, and put a few scratches on the back of this bow.  Nothing deep.  Is that a worry?  I've heard horror stories of self-bows coming apart with the slightest damage to the back, but this black locust is pretty tough stuff.  Since archery season ended, I've been shooting a lot with no obvious problems. 

The guy who made this bow said I should "sand with 220 grit so you can take it down slowly.  The scratch doesn't have to totally disappear.  Then seal with whatever was used before."  I am really, really worried about compromising a ring and ruining the bow.  I have no experience building bows, so I doubt I'd know if I did until it broke.  I'm wondering if I should just leave well enough alone.  What do you think?

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Sanding out scratches
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:00:46 am »
Here's the worst one.  I think the flash makes it look worse than it really is.

Here are some more minor ones.

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 08:27:14 am »
Black locust probably isn't quite as 'delicate' as osage but I wouldn't sand too much. A possible solution would be to apply a single layer of thin satin or linen with TB ll or TB lll.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 08:44:50 am »
Black locust probably isn't quite as 'delicate' as osage but I wouldn't sand too much. A possible solution would be to apply a single layer of thin satin or linen with TB ll or TB lll.

Thank you, King of the Danes!   ;D  I don't want to back the bow if I can help it.  From what Curt (the bowyer) said, it sounds like if I just smooth it out slightly then seal it good (presumably to keep moisture from seeping into the scratch and making it worse?) I'll be in good shape, even if the scratch doesn't disappear.  Does that sound right?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 08:45:33 am »
That doesn't look like scratches to me, but more like a tension crack starting. Hope I'm wrong! Get you a magnifying glass and take a closer look...….Art

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 09:47:18 am »
It looks to me like that first growth ring is fairly thin so I certainly wouldn't sand anything.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 11:36:33 am »
It's not how tough the wood is but whether the grain was violated. Being on the back, the tension side, makes it a problem if the grain was violated. I think I would put a drop of super glue on it and watch it closely as you shoot it. You could rub a cotton ball over it and see if it picks up any of the cotton fibers. That would tell you if any of the fibers were broken. If none were you could use a little steam to possibly remove the dent. If the grain is broken I'd back it with rawhide after the drop of super glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 12:03:17 pm »
well hmmm,, backing a bow is better than having it fail,, but those may not ever effect anything,,
if Marc says dont sand,, dont even think about sanding,,
backing a bow will not effect performance,, really wont do anything except protect the back,,, so its not a bad thing in any way, ,,,,

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 12:40:19 pm »
Personally I'd also not be sanding it out but would glue a 2 inch long rawhide 'patch' over the area using hide glue (gelatine). You can blend it in nicely once it has cured.
I don't like the look of the sharp edges on the back. It would be worth you rounding them over a little when fixing the scratch.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 12:46:51 pm »
I agree about rounding the edges

Offline bassman

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 01:09:39 pm »
Sinew works good with Black Locust with a trapped back, and rounded edges, but in the end it is your call.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 04:54:42 pm »
OK. No sanding.  Roger that.

I ran a cotton ball carefully up and down the back.  The only places that caught at all were a couple of tiny, vertical cracks I hadn't noticed before.  And one of those is on the non-working part of the handle.  So...the consensus seems to be put a drop of superglue in each dent/scratch, then keep an eye on it and get concerned if it grows or changes.  Sound right?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 04:56:35 pm »
Oh, regarding the sharp edges:  I did round the edges of the belly and the handle, but I was afraid to do much to the back.  Wouldn't rounding the edges change the tiller and/or compromise the growth rings?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 05:30:58 pm »
Rounding the edges on the back shouldn't affect the tiller or draw weight. You are basically removing nonworking dead weight.  Rounded edges are less likely to raise a splinter on the back of a bow.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:52:34 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 05:52:41 pm »
yep )P(