Author Topic: Bamboo  (Read 10660 times)

Offline DC

Bamboo
« on: October 04, 2019, 12:27:36 pm »
I just harvested all my bamboo. I'm going to try to kill the roots before it takes over the yard. Anyway now I have to find a place to dry it. I have an open woodshed with rafters I could spread it out on but that would be unheated, winter with RH 70-100% for the next 6 months. Or I could build a rack in the shop/garage where it has heat when I'm out there(most days). I'd rather not build a rack and I'm in no rush. Would it hurt the boo to go up in the woodshed for a nice slow dry. Bugs are not a problem here. I'm just concerned about the RH. There is room the spread it out into a single layer and there is lots of air circulation. Any experience with this?

Offline burtonridr

Re: Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 02:12:07 pm »
That is pretty awesome!

If it were me, I might consider tying them into bundles of 10-15. In my experience bundling doesnt really affect drying time, but helps shafts to dry much straighter. I dont know if bamboo will warp, bend, or sag while drying. Also, having bundles it just easier to move around if needed.

As to the high RH, its pretty dry where I live, dont have much experience in that regard.
Offgrid mtn living

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 02:32:47 pm »
 (A)

I live right where bamboo stops growing so im stuck with wood 8)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline helmet

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 02:40:24 pm »
DC I have a bundle drying in similar conditions and they look fine. I haven't made any arrows yet, but they have been sitting there for about 7 months.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 03:10:53 pm »
Bundle them up to keep them straight and stick them on a rafter. They are pretty dry in 2 months. You can speed dry them in your oven if you like.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 04:11:13 pm »
I made a small rack for my gas stove last time I harvested a few. They were right in the airflow about a foot from the stove and it took over a week to dry. These things are seriously wet. Most of them are pretty straight but I'll bundle them and stick them in the wood shed. A lot are this years canes so I'm not sure how good they'll be but the clump was coming out no matter what. It was growing wide enough so it was almost blocking my shooting range.
Deerhunter, I live in Zone 7 and this is Fargesia scabrida which is good to Zone 6a

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 10:00:19 am »
Oh one more thing. This boo is green(colour). Will it change to tan as it cures or does that depend on the species of boo?

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 10:42:56 am »
It always turns brown, how fast is determined by how much sunlight it gets.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 05:42:33 pm »
Nice to know that it all turns brown. I'm not liking the green.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 05:56:26 pm »
Nice to know that it all turns brown. I'm not liking the green.
Get it out in the sun for a few days, a week should do it.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 06:11:51 pm »
Thats why my rivercan is green! thanks!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 05:45:42 am »
I find it’s a good idea to try and dry bamboo slowly, not too slow just a bit. It prevents the outer rind from cracking. You might want to wash them first though as bamboo has something on it that’ll give you a minor rash. Wipe them down though since bamboo is susceptible to fungus. Also wear gloves. Split bamboo is like obsidian, especially when green. You don’t need to worry about drying them straight, bamboo heat bends (dry or wet heat) like a charm. Just bundle them up to keep them from making a mess. Also good luck killing the bamboo, unless you exterminate every last one, they’ll come back. Isn’t your knee beat up right now or am I thinking of someone else?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:49:49 am by Ryan Jacob »

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 10:12:31 am »
My knees are about the only part that works right, you're thinking of someone else. ;D ;D This Boo is Fargesia scabrida, a clumping bamboo so hopefully that will make it easier to get rid of. I'm too old to dig it out so I'm just going to cover it with a tarp and stress it to death. If that doesn't work I'll break out the Round Up. I don't know about others boos but this one has a waxy, pitchy coating. If you heat it when it's green it gets very sticky. To the point that it becomes tough to work with. I tried to isolate whatever is one there in the hopes of using it to waterproof stuff but I had no luck.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 10:17:08 am »
It's a natural way on the outside that protects it from rotting. It flakes off as you dry it, but some stays on. It scrapes off easily. I leave it, as it causes me no problems and I dont need to put any finish on it when I'm done. A heat gun on low melts it down to evenly distribute it after handling and making the arrow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 11:45:12 am »
When I cut hill cane I usually do it in the winter(mainly to eliminate bugs and snakes) and lay it out flat on my front porch for a few weeks then separate into bundles of about 15 canes of similar size. I use rubber bands to hold the bundles together and set them in our utility room for a few months to season. Usually 2 months will be enough time to season before I
When I heat straighten them I notice steam coming from the end as I work along their length.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC