Author Topic: Kid bow dimensions ?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Little John

Kid bow dimensions ?
« on: October 10, 2019, 05:32:16 pm »
I need to mage a couple of kid bows for a 6 and 4 year old set of brothers. I have a hickory stave and oak board.  Any general dimensions and draw weight and draw length suggestions would be appreciated. Would like to make bows that they could kind of shoot now and still be able to grow into. Thanks .
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Kid bow dimensions ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 05:40:06 pm »
If you make something about 55" from tip to tip, and a bend through the handle design, it will be overbuilt so that about any kid can draw it and shoot it.  Tiller it out to a 26" draw length and about 30 lbs of draw weight at that point. 

Inch and an eighth wide at the grip, straight taper to tips just a bit over half inch wide.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 06:01:03 pm »
Thanks J.W. I guess I can get started. I mentioned it about a week ago when they were at our house shooting little compound devices. And they have sure not forgotten it.Asked me today if the bows were finished.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 07:49:07 am »
My guess would be:

44 inches long,
1 - 1 1/4 inches wide,
bendy handle,
leave the tips blocky but rounded,
12 pounds at full draw.

You’ll want something tough enough to withstand some abuse but not so overbuilt that the bows become dogs. Nothing more disappointing than a bow that doesn’t have any zip, especially for a kid.

Also, JW, you can’t give them something like a 55 inch bow. I don’t think 4-6 year olds get that tall. It might not be usable for them

Knowing my cousins, they’ll probably use them as half bow, half walking stick. That’s why the tips need to have some meat on them.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 09:39:46 pm »
I've always made them as tall as the youngster and about an inch wide. I've mainly used board for kids. I usually back them with silk, burlap or linen.
Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com/lightboardbows.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!