Author Topic: width question  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Re: width question
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 08:35:36 pm »
That is some serious glued-in reflex on that bow Marc!

I am not a fan of bamboo as a backing, but for hickory-backed ipe bows I gravitate to 2.5-3 cm wide, which translates to 1 inch to 1-3/8 inches wide. I also round the hickory back and sand it down to under 1/8 inch thick.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 08:37:42 pm »
That is some serious glued-in reflex on that bow Marc!

Honestly! thats amazing! its braced is identical to its unbraced when flipped to its other side!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 08:44:46 pm »
These are all very helpful replies guys. Can't tell ya how many times I've tried a boo backing only to end up with too much boo and not enough belly. I'm really trying to avoid that with this one. Sounds like the key is the right balance between boo thickness and width.

The thing that scares me about going too narrow is the lateral stability thing. Especially when combined with a good amount of reflex. 
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 10:36:35 am »
Can I stick a question in here? Take the bow that Marc posted. It looks like it could be a bear to brace with wanting to twist. Once it's braced is it still more unstable than a straight bow?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 07:52:36 pm »
That was the reflex after I had tillered it out.  The bow had some very high string tension and that has a tendency to make a bow a bit unstable at brace.  Before tillering it was down right dangerous
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bassman

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 02:33:16 pm »
The one, and only Bamboo backed Ipe bow that I made was  3 piece take down , 40 lbs. at 26 inches draw with straight limbs. It is 1 1/4 at the fades to 1/2 inch at the tips. When I first built it I shot it a lot. Now, not so much.The Bamboo back was thin so I had more Ipe than Bamboo for thickness.

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 08:53:01 pm »
  I will be gluing up a boo backed ipe in the morning. One method I like to use is I apply the mass principle before glue up. Ipe can be hard to push into shape on the form so I like to get it as thin as possible before glue up. I also like to leave the boo just a little thicker than normal so I can make my ipe thinner. I will be building a 67" long 50#@28". The finished mass will be 21 oz, so if my bamboo comes out at about 8 oz I will rough my stave down to about 16 oz before glue up. This leaves me a bout 3 oz for tillering, quite a lot of wood really.

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 05:03:29 pm »
I made this 54 Lb IPE Bow 1" wide.  Between the narrowness and the delicate tips, it is difficult to string without it twisting.

Knocker
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...