Author Topic: Nodes keep snaping off - help!  (Read 3226 times)

WillMac

Nodes keep snaping off - help!
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:08:41 am »
I am having a lot of trouble straightening the nodes on my cane shafts. I get one almost straight and it becomes brittle and snaps.  :-\ Is it because I am reheating the node? How do you tell if you are over heating?

thanks!

Offline Mechslasher

Re: Nodes keep snaping off - help!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:24:01 pm »
if you over heat the node or if the shaft is too dry you can have problems with the nodes snapping.  i have that problem with the dried tonkin cane i use.  using the cane i harvest myself, i cure it in the sun and let it dry for a month or three and straighten.  rarely do i have problem with nodes snapping.  after straightening i let the shaft finish drying/curing.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:43:36 pm »
Nine times out of ten if I break a node it was because I got it too hot. You need to heat it just until it starts to sweat and you start to smell the "hot cane" smell. If it gets charred or dark brown looking, it's too hot. Try heating it slower- I often use a heat gun on low clamped in the vise and rotate the cane constantly over it as I'm heating it. You just have to get the feel of bending the nodes, too-slow and steady, no sudden movements. Always do the major straightening before you smooth the nodes down. Another thing that helps is to get all the internodes straight before you bend the nodes, then you usually just have to bend the nodes once.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:24:38 pm »
Also, I've used a little oil, but I'm not sure how much that affects the outcome. Don't trust a hillbilly all the time, but he's right. :)  I've broken several because I've overheated them.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 12:04:34 am »
Like Hillbilly said..too much heat........bob