Author Topic: How to remove hair from meat  (Read 190 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
How to remove hair from meat
« on: October 06, 2019, 09:07:24 pm »
Full disclosure:  This is not my idea.  I liberated it from another hunting forum, over where they use bullets and stuff.  But I feel pretty safe assuming that most people hard-core enough to take to the hills with a primitive bow are probably processing there own meat

I might be really inept at field dressing, but my meat always ends up with random hairs on it.  Sometimes quite a bit.  This year's was cleaner than usual, since I actually killed it in a level spot for once in my life (I have a gift for running into deer on the sides of horrendous, high desert canyons miles from the nearest road).  But there was still some, and it is a pain to remove.  At least, it used to be.

Here's what you do:  Before you start the clean-up-and-wrap-up phase of processing your critter, take a half cup or so of wheat flour.  Add water a few drops at a time and knead until you have a blob of nice, sticky dough:  Not wet and slimy, but sticky enough that it adheres to your fingers just a little bit.  Keep it in a cup next to your working area.  When you find a hair, squish that blob of dough onto it, and more than likely it will pick it right up off the meat.   If it doesn't, use a gentle wiping motion and it almost certainly will.  Squish the dough a few times so the hair gets enveloped and doesn't go right back onto the meat.

If the dough dries out, add a couple drops of water and knead it until it's sticky again.  If it gets hairy, knead it a little.  After a while (about half a deer's worth, for me) it starts getting pretty slimy and quite working.  So I just mixed up a new blob.

Easy!  I sure wish someone had told me about this 30 years ago...I could have taken a second career with all the time it would have saved.  Or practiced shooting more.  Or something.  Anyway, there you go.  Give it a shot and see if it works as well for you.

Thomas
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:12:04 pm by WhistlingBadger »
Fall down six times.  Stand up seven.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: How to remove hair from meat
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 11:43:01 pm »
Them hairs are sticky little buggers! >:D. If we can hang the carcass, we blast it With a flame thrower, I.e. A propane brush torch, a few passes, and you get 99.5% of the stray hairs, the rest are for flavoring!  Of course, this only works if you remember to load the torch and a 20# propane tank!  Got that from a buddy, then noticed my far distant cousin doing it in his meat processing operation!  Of course, I forgot to. Load it last year!  Those nifty pet hair rollers might work, too - not as hard to pack!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

• Black Hills Raptor Center
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 12:42:54 am »
To quote Homer Simpson as I smack myself on the forehead for not thinking of something so simple, "DOUGH!"
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 06:55:20 am »
To quote Homer Simpson as I smack myself on the forehead for not thinking of something so simple, "DOUGH!"

Go to your room.  ha ha ha
Fall down six times.  Stand up seven.