Author Topic: Curing form.  (Read 1463 times)

Offline IrishJay

Curing form.
« on: October 08, 2019, 01:25:30 pm »
I just wanted to share some pics of the curing form I just built. The idea was to make a form that I could leave the stave on as it cured without tieing up all of my clamps for 2 months. This is what I came up with. Open to any suggestions for improvements.   

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline DC

Re: Curing form.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 03:50:29 pm »
Good idea, lot of work.
Is Photobucket blurring the pictures now so you have to go to their site?

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 07:44:31 pm »
DC, they might be.

I replaced to plastic zip ties with steel wire, put some more heat to it and cranked some more deflex into the handle.

Measuring to the back I have just over 1 1/4" of deflex from the center of the handle to the midlimb (where the arrow is). The tips are 2 1/2" forward of the center of the handle.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:38:35 pm by IrishJay »
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 11:03:38 pm »
I use the same basic set up ,but I use clamps. I have enough.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 08:42:33 am »
Bass, do your staves hold their shape pretty well when you cure them on a form? I steamed this one to get it on the form and then used dry heat to tweak it a bit and further tighten the bindings.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 10:27:16 am »
I used couple of wraps of duct tape(put on inside out) to hold it on the form. Less fiddling.

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 10:41:51 am »
I cut green, reduce to a floor tiller, align on the form, clamp , let dry , heat treat before taking off the form.Then tiller, heat treat,tiller heat treat all the way to finish to keep set at a minimum with white woods. Yes , your stave will hold it's shape coming off the form, but for me if I don't heat treat the whole way to finish  through the tillering process I get excessive set. You may not have to use this process, but it is what works for me. Good luck.

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 10:57:49 am »
Yes, but I still have to heat treat all through the tillering process, or I get excessive set.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 11:34:57 am »
Thats the reason I got rid of the plastic ties, with the steel wire I can heat it periodically while it's seasoning, and toast the belly just a few days before its ready to come off the form.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 12:24:41 pm »
Why are the pics blurry? I would like to see some clear ones if you have them.  Looks like a nice method your using here.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 01:31:57 pm »
I'll try to get some better pics with my SLR.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 02:34:01 pm »
Why are the pics blurry? I would like to see some clear ones if you have them.  Looks like a nice method your using here.
If you click on the pictures so you go to Photobucket they are nice and clear. Seems suspicious to me.