Author Topic: Food plot  (Read 6666 times)

Offline DC

Re: Food plot
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 10:27:28 am »
Do you have to seed that every year Eric? I know nothing about grains.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 12:15:22 pm »
DC, most grains are annual, they will grow all winter and develop seed heads in the spring then die.  Clovers, red, crimson and white(Ladino) are perennial and will come back year after year, reseeding themselves each year.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 07:13:43 am »
I buy a cheap deer plot mix of wheat, rye and oats, the deer aren't picky, any green stuff that has been fertilized will draw them in, I till and reseed every year.

Usually I have deer in my plot the day I take the fence down. I had 6 or 7 deer hanging out in my 4 acres of woods all summer but they have apparently moved off to other feeding areas and haven't found my plot yet. I have seen no activity in it so far.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 08:27:36 pm »
That's a great little plot you've got there Eric! My plots coming up well even though I didn't do a whole lot to it. I might have to do the fence next year, deer are all over it already.
Trevor

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 07:59:07 am »
My neighbor across the hollow has a deer feeder about 150 yards from my plot down by the creek. I hadn't heard it running this year so I walked down in the hollow to check it out. On the way down in the hollow it looked like a tornado went through on my neighbors land, there were 5 or 6 big oaks down in a line that completely blocked the side hollow that borders my place.The trees have completely blocked the normal deer trails the feed into my property, this explains the lack of deer movement on my place.

I can cut one of the treetops out of the main deer trail and possibly get more deer movement on my place.  There was no battery in the feeder so there is no corn to draw deer off of my place like it did last year.