Author Topic: Terrible shot  (Read 3331 times)

Offline sleek

Terrible shot
« on: October 08, 2019, 08:01:48 pm »
So today, I found a local archery range, 12 bucks to shoot all day. I brought my bow I plan to hunt with and some arrows. I shot for 2 straight arrows, and kept them all inside 12 inch group at 20 yards, with a few wild fliers. I know I can group better than this, I feel I should be able to pack them inside a 5 inch circle. I wonder if it's my arrows.

I took one arrow and shot it over and over, it would go right 5 times then left 3. Another arrow would hit bullseye, then go left 7 inches and right 4. They all did this, I had a quiver of 7.  Is my aim that bad, or is it my arrows? I never could group well with these, but figured even if under/over spined they should park next to each other.

I love archery. I hate arrows. They make me miss.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Terrible shot
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 08:44:31 pm »
arrows, its always the arrows. no question about it.

Just kidding!!!! Thats weird! even unspined arrows should be consistent! i want to say form, but i dont have the experiance to know/say what it would be with the form! I hope you figured it out!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 09:32:44 pm »
When I have those type of groups it usually is from form. If I just pay attention to follow thru thinks tighten right back up. Hope this helps . Bob (SH)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 09:58:21 pm »
I'm a terrible shot, so take this with a grain of salt.  It sounds like your not anchoring the same every shot.  Short draw an inch on one shot and overdraw the next will cause significant spine issues.  Thus the horizontal spread of your group.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 12:14:39 am »
Josh has a good point - the biggest problem I had with my beginning students was getting them to anchor consistently!  There may also be a bit of fatigue setting in, especially later in your session.  Russell has a good point, too! (--) >:D  (SH) (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 06:26:21 am »
A spine tester and bare shafting is the only way to get a bow tuned right. I fought it for years, then I did it once and suddenly I could shoot damn good(er) most days. Never, ever expect to get 12 shafts in the range you purchased, unless you go to a place that makes shafts and that's all they do, TSA for example. They will send 3-4# groups. Any bulk sales place will vary 8-10# nearly every time. That is far from good enough. Id tell you to peel feathers and bare shaft what you have now, but if you don't have a tester you don't know what you have now. Its astonishing what properly matched arrows will do for accuracy, quietness and repeatability. From my experience I would venture to say 2 in 5 archers have a properly tuned set up. There bows are either loud as hell or the arrow wags like a dogs tail, or both. Add a broad head and you really have a problem.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 06:53:05 am »
I have seen bow/arrow set ups that were way off and sounded like a stick hitting the side of a tree, but they managed to keep an 8" group. That's still not good enough. Our bows don't generate much power and when you rob 30-50% of that due to poor arrow spine you are really handicapping yourself. It can and does work, but just try a super tuned set up one time and you will never be satisfied with close enough again.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 07:34:25 am »
I have seen bow/arrow set ups that were way off and sounded like a stick hitting the side of a tree, but they managed to keep an 8" group. That's still not good enough. Our bows don't generate much power and when you rob 30-50% of that due to poor arrow spine you are really handicapping yourself. It can and does work, but just try a super tuned set up one time and you will never be satisfied with close enough again.

Thanks bud  you gave me hope again. Gonna try bare shaft tuning. I was feeling kinda hopeless, but I have a bit of motivation again. I just know I'm better than I was doing yesterday,  cause I have shot a proper set up a few times. You literally cant miss!

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 07:48:09 am »
Josh has a good point - the biggest problem I had with my beginning students was getting them to anchor consistently!  There may also be a bit of fatigue setting in, especially later in your session.  Russell has a good point, too! (--) >:D  (SH) (lol)!
Hawkdancer

Fatigue was getting to me for certain,  I had to quit when I grew and shot off a blister on my finger.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 07:50:06 am »
Hawkdancer

Fatigue was getting to me for certain,  I had to quit when I grew and shot off a blister on my finger.

Ouch!! maybe a leather pad for your fingers!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 08:07:27 am »
Hawkdancer

Ouch!! maybe a leather pad for your fingers!

Nah, I like to feel the string. Especially in the cold. I just need to toughen up these baby skin fingers again and get some callouses.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 08:42:14 am »
Shooting bare fingers lets you know when you draw arm elbow is too high. Ouch.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 09:18:45 am »
I've had (and occasionally still have) similar issues.  For me it's a form issue:  Inconsistent cant, anchor, and/or a bow arm twitch at the moment of release.  When I start hitting all over the place, I forget about the 3d targets for a while and do a few sessions of blind-bale shooting to tighten up my form.  That usually takes care of it.
Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 09:35:48 am »
The arrow is the most important part of the bow and arrow set up. Without proper arrows for your bow and your shooting style you'll never be consistent. Form and concentration are the next 2 parts in line.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 09:47:05 am »
Serious question, embarrassing too, if you troubled 12 at 20, would you hunt? My confidence is shattered. Is that even a billable group? Where would you gain to ensure a 12 inch group found 90 percent of the shots in a kill zone?