Author Topic: Terrible shot  (Read 3246 times)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Terrible shot
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 10:22:46 am »
Consistently good shooting is critical for hunting. IMO. If I was not consistent at 12 to 20 yards I wouldn't hunt with a bow. If you are not consistent from those ranges while practicing you'll be worse while hunting. Closer is even more difficult from a tree stand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 10:40:45 am »
Trees are for the birds, I stay on the ground, usually crouched in tall grass, or leaned against a tree to break up my outline.

We will see how the bare shaft tuning goes. Speaking of, what distance do you tune from and what do you look for?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 10:48:12 am »
One thing I've found(I'm a terrible shot too)is that the harder I think about it the worse I do. I'll shoot two good shots and the third will go wild. I'm not a hunter but it's easy to see that unless you run across a stupid deer you only get one shot. How is your first shot. If you can walk out of the house and hit close on your first shot maybe you're OK for hunting. And I find that any more than 20 shots or so tires me more than I would expect. My shooting goes into the trash after about 20. :-[ :-[

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 10:55:16 am »
A 12" round group means you can be off 6" either way of your target. Most deer wont die if your 6" high, forward or low. I cant tell you to hunt, or not, but I think you know your answer Kevin. If you are set on hunting, then get your bow/arrows tuned and walk forward until you hit a 6" circle every shot. If that means your range is 10 yards, then so be it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.