Author Topic: Muscle  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Muscle
« on: October 09, 2019, 07:44:24 am »
So i want to get my draw weight up but I don't know what muscles to train. I know your back, pecs, and shoulder, and biceps and triceps are secondary but what should i do to get my draw weight up to maybe 60#. I have been surfing the site and found that when people shoot higher # not as steady their lower draw weight bows become steady. I find that my 45# bow i have trouble not shaking. I can still get my shots within a water bottle but i can do better. any ideas?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Muscle
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:00:01 am »
Build a high weight training bow. I read that the Turks used some kind of paper training arrow that acted like a parachute for training indoors, never seen one though, but they were supposed to only fly a couple of feet even when released from a war-bow.  Maybe some one here has something similar?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 08:07:53 am »
Since I have met you and know your build I would suggest sticking with 45# max, Your frame isn't made for a 60# bow, not yet anyway young man.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 08:23:25 am »
Shot a 50# ish bow until you are tired. Then train the muscles that are sore the next day... lol

How old are you? Your body may not even be ready to train yet. Also, why are you interested in getting your weight up? I shoot 43-47#, I'm 36, and am very satisfied with that weight.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 08:34:08 am »
Russell I would tend to agree with Pearl. Start out with something your comfortable with. Shoot as often as you can. Get your back and shoulder muscles helping. Forget what they call that right now but Clay Hayes had a good video on it I saw once a few years back. I like the way he described it. Something like closing a door with the back of your shoulder. Your arm should be like a rope from the elbow to the string. Pull with your shoulder and back.

Might be some exercises that would help, but shooting a comfortable weight bow and developing a consistent draw and form means more than shooting a heavy draw with poor form. Us smaller guys can still work up to a heavier draw but I think it's best for everyone to start with a comfortable weight and once that seems to light work your way up in increments. I know for me some bows I've made seem very light yet I give them to someone who seems pretty fit and they can't draw them as far as I can. Only time we use most of these muscles in this way is by shooting a bow.

Bjrogg

PS I've seen little Nate draw some pretty heavy bows. The kid shoots like a machine though
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 08:38:16 am »
Russell, take Pearly's advice. Be patient and focus on handling 45#s before you even think about heavier weights. Going from 45-60 is about a 34% increase. That's a significant amount and isn't going to happen overnight.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 08:40:47 am »
Considering there are people who pull more than their body weight after serious training, sure 60# is possible for you. But is is better? If draw weight is a goal in and of itself, then yes. Personally my archery has improved more from underweight bows that I can shoot all day without discomfort compared to heavy bows where I’ll quit before practice is done. If your shooting problems are a strength issue, heavy bows could be good training,  but maybe it’s a form issue and in that case being under bowed could be a quicker fix.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 08:45:01 am »
Yeah if you are shaking at 45 lbs then that looks like your heavy weight training bow for the time being.  No shame in that. 
I was 6'1" and 125 lbs when I was your age and I doubt I could have pulled back a 30 lb bow.
If you want to weight train stick to core type moves and maybe throw in some back specific exercises.  Squats, deadlifts, pull ups, shoulder press, bench press.  I do bent over dumbbell rows (single arm) when targeting my bow muscles.  You should be able to do sets of 10 comfortably with any weight you intend to shoot your bow with.   
You will have to give it time though.  Building up strength doesn't happen over night.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 08:48:27 am »
 Hard to beat pull ups and chin ups for all around upper body strength useful for drawing a bow.  It's not exactly the same but the muscles used will get the right stimulus.

Rope climbing with hands only is also very good.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 08:51:19 am »
Your body may not even be ready to train yet.

The body is ready to train from birth.   

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 08:59:48 am »
What is your draw length and where do you anchor.
I saw a lot of short style draws in the US and I don't think they are so suited to heavy weights as it is mostly using the arms.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 09:07:32 am »
Russell a lot of it can be form to. I'm not saying I have good form. Honestly mine probably really stinks. But it's a stink I'm very comfortable with. It suits my purpose well and I think my muscles share the load pretty evenly.

It's kinda like stringing your bow. When you first try it's so hard. I can show someone way stronger than me how to string one of my bows. I can almost guarantee you that they will struggle with it. Once you develop the right technique it seems so easy. At least most of the time.lol

Develop a technique that seems comfortable for you. Comfortable and consistent. When it feels way to light go a few lbs higher. Your still growing. I was 5'.3" and weighed 115 lbs till I was 36 and got married. Now I'm 5.5 and 202. Believe me it's not all muscle.lol
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 09:14:52 am »
a well placed arrow with only 12 inches of penetration is much better than a bad placed arrow with 20 inches of penetration... bottom line..gut

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 09:19:19 am »
Shot a 50# ish bow until you are tired. Then train the muscles that are sore the next day... lol

How old are you? Your body may not even be ready to train yet. Also, why are you interested in getting your weight up? I shoot 43-47#, I'm 36, and am very satisfied with that weight.

15 in almost exactly two months. I want to get my weight up because it extends my capabilities for shooting, 45# wont feel shaky, I can shoot higher poundage bows allowing me to make higher poundage bows, if given the chance to shoot a bow i would like to be able to draw it, and it gives me a goal to work towards. I just thought that while i start training again for this wrestling season i could work those muscle groups.

Oh! sorry! when i meant 45-60# i meant over time! I know i cant do it in a day, I was thinking that maybe i try to get to 60# in 6 months I'm already training for wrestling! I didn't have a weight room in middle school so im taking full advantage of it! looking at it im already doing everything that Bayou Ben says.

I agree that me, right now, i am not ready for 60# noooooo waayyy!! maybe 50, but that would be like when i first started shooting my 45 bow. Dont worry guys! I understand that I wont look like a body builder in one day!

Del my draw length is 26 when i dont have bad form and i anchor to my right canine tooth.

Yeah bj I think im shaking a alot because of form. but i should say its not super, earth shaking shaking, but just a slight tremble. a slight tremble can throw a arrow off a good bit at 20 yrds. then it also might just be my had trembling as it does that naturally. I dont have the steadiest hands!

+1 gut
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:25:27 am by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 09:25:49 am »
Pearly and Gut nailed it.  Get really good with that 45--it will certainly do in a deer with a good, accurate shot.  Shoot as much as possible, and shoot well.  Once you're totally in control at that weight, consider trying a 50# or 55#.  Go through the same process.

When I wanted to work back up to shooting my 60# bow after I got out of shape (injury), I bought a cheap, you-finish 50# hickory flatbow from Crowshead.   I shot it until I was comfortable with it, then gradually started working the 60# back in to my practice sessions.  At first I could only do a few shots with it before my form started to come apart.  When that happens, there's no point in continuing.  When you practice shooting poorly you're just reinforcing bad habits.
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour