Author Topic: Osage orange and to sinew or not to sinew  (Read 1344 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Osage orange and to sinew or not to sinew
« on: October 09, 2019, 07:24:06 pm »
What are your views on the pros and cons of sinew backing osage orange  bows that are approx 50 inches in length?
Thanks

Offline Josh B

Re: Osage orange and to sinew or not to sinew
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 07:29:05 pm »
Depends on intended draw length, pull and design.  In other words, more information please

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 10:14:14 pm »
I probably would not sinew anything over 60 inches in length. For anything shorter it will depend on what you are trying to accomplish, for example if you want to take the wood to the brink and get more performance, say 54-56 inch bow that will draw to 28 inches and will not take much set, then I would back. If you are building something that you aint taking to the limit that can handle the stresses like a D bow 50 inches 22-24 inches in draw you may not need a backing especially if you make it wide enough or depending on your wood selection. Hope that helps!
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 08:14:54 am »
Sinew is heavy  ,and heavy is slow.  If you look at a force draw curve on your bow without sinew, then you need to store more energy in that bow once the sinew is applied, or it's just heavy and slow.  Reverse stringing the bow while it is drying and curing can accomplish that.  It will have more stored energy from the first inch of draw, all the way thru.  The question is how much reflex is the right amount?  Now the bows design comes into play in order to venture a guess.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 09:34:09 am »
Look at examples of sinew backed west coast native California paddle style bows from 36 to 50 inches long. Some had up to 4 to 5 inches of reflex finished. 2/3 wood, and 1/3 sinew made from Yew,Juniper, some other woods. Some made them narrower with less reflex. Hupa,Modac, Yurok, Wintu,and Kurok are some examples of both styles. The one's that I made from Hickory with more wood ,and less sinew ended up with 1 ,and half inches of reflex which would be sub par to their examples, but still fun to shoot. Examples are taken from a book that I have that is called the Indigenous people of North America.