Author Topic: My first Warbow: 138 lb @ 33" Canadian Maple  (Read 5527 times)

Offline bowman123

My first Warbow: 138 lb @ 33" Canadian Maple
« on: October 10, 2019, 01:20:01 pm »
I just made my first Warbow: 138lbs @ 33" (Flat bow Cross section)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ibtbmEIggA

As a beginner in warbowmaking I would like to hear some suggestions on my tillering.
I don't know where to post this so I think this is the most appropriate discussion area since there is no section for non-english warbows

As a broke student I don't have money to back it with sinew and quality bow wood is expensive

How can make a heavier warbow in the 150-200 lb draw weight? I can't find anyone in North America that will make me a 200lb warbow for a reasonable price so I am planing to make it 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:29:32 pm by bowman123 »

Offline Mikkolaht

Re: My first Warbow: 138 lb @ 33" Canadian Maple
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 03:29:47 pm »
Heavy bows are exciting! And congratulations!

Buy some ipe and bamboo/hickory and you can make 200lb bow. Doesn't need to be wider than 1 1/2 inches.
I managed to make one, but i failed with the tiller on the bow, so it wasn't reliable to use(like i could anyways).

The handle was bending too much.

Offline bowman123

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 12:22:04 pm »
Hi I have seen at least 3 people doing the trilam design using hickory and ipe and bamboo or 2 materials of the two, to make +150 lb bows.
I just thought the glue has no way of holding on to that wood? How can glue be that strong??
Where can I get those lumber in Canada / North America?
Also do you have any 170lb+ bows for sale? I'll buy your 200lb bow if you are interested as long as it is safe to draw at 29"

Offline bowman123

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 12:23:16 pm »
For the handle I'm thinking you can use some fibreglass for reinforcement so it's stiffer (yes its cheating lol)

Offline Mikkolaht

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 02:10:15 pm »
I used just basic gorilla glue, regular wood glue does the job. You need to make sure that the surfaces are perfectly flat, don't scratch them with sandpaper. Smooth shining flat surfaces stick together very well, just put enough glue that there are no voids. Glue both surfaces that are going to be glued together.

Ipe is used for decking from what i have heard. In America and Canada you can buy it from any lumberyard i believe.

I don't have any bows that have such high draw weight for sale.

I think with ipe bamboo combo you don't need any reinforcement, it is so strong.
My second warbows were from ipe maple hickory and it is pretty much impossible to destroy the bow. Unless you take it to the 200lb range and make the handle too bendy, like i did.