Author Topic: Skinny shafts, thick heads  (Read 2894 times)

Offline sleek

Skinny shafts, thick heads
« on: October 10, 2019, 07:28:47 pm »
I have some narrow bamboo shafts I'm working on, and some snapped broadhead I want to mount. I know I can split the shaft to mount the point, but that will leave the end of the shaft looking more appropriate for a frog gig. How do I do this?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Skinny shafts, thick heads
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 09:49:03 pm »
 I don't know what a snapped broadhead is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 10:41:09 pm »
I'm with Pat, but I think you want wrap the shafts before splitting.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 10:58:39 pm »
I'm assuming that you mean "knapped" broadheads?  It's actually pretty simple.  Don't split the shaft, cut in a notch as if you were mounting thinner points.  Make sure you leave enough material on the sides to support the point when it's set into the notch.  All you have to do is heat the boo to the point it gets soft or plastic and then set the point in the notch and squeeze the sides down to the point.  Where a glove because the boo will be hotter than you want to hold with bare fingers until it cools.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 05:03:00 am »
I don't know what a snapped broadhead is.

A snapped broadhead is what happened when autocorrect is bored and wants to @*#$ with you. I meant knapped.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 05:05:29 am »
I'm assuming that you mean "knapped" broadheads?  It's actually pretty simple.  Don't split the shaft, cut in a notch as if you were mounting thinner points.  Make sure you leave enough material on the sides to support the point when it's set into the notch.  All you have to do is heat the boo to the point it gets soft or plastic and then set the point in the notch and squeeze the sides down to the point.  Where a glove because the boo will be hotter than you want to hold with bare fingers until it cools.

Thanks bud. Will be doing that soon as I got them bare shaft tuned.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 10:05:59 am »
I like Josh's method but I would at least temporarily wrap it just below the notch so it doesn't split. Use cotton or something that isn't going to shrivel up when you heat it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 05:43:52 pm »
Josh's method works or you can also boil the end tips. it makes them pretty pliable and less likely to crack while fitting the base of the point.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 07:29:30 pm »
I glue a 2" long  piece of bamboo skewer stick inside the point end of bamboo using Titebond 2 or 3. This strengthens the end of the arrow and gives you something to glue the stone point  to when you install it instead of a hollow area or pithy area.

You will also need to practice thinning your points which makes it much easier to mount the heads.