Author Topic: squirrel rifle and old eyes.  (Read 5886 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

squirrel rifle and old eyes.
« on: October 20, 2019, 11:35:43 am »
I decided to fine tune my Kibler .32 yesterday and kill some squirrels, I found I can no longer see the rear sight well enough to shoot consistently, for me now it is an unrecognizable black blob. This rifle came with the standard young eye rear sight dovetail about 4" behind the entry pipe. When I build a gun I move the rear sight over the rear entry pipe so I can see it better.

I mentioned my dilemma on the ALR site, one guy offered this solution, I am going to make one this afternoon and see if it works for me. I have 72 year old eyes, the rear sights of my guns have been disappearing a little at a time over the last 10 years of so.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: squirrel rifle and old eyes.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 12:09:49 pm »
That's a good Idea. I might try it for my young eyes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gifford

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 01:01:53 pm »
Yep, the disappearing rear sight is familiar to many of us. I'm a year younger than you but I did have cataract surgery two years ago and it has made a world of difference for me, your mileage may vary.

The fellas in the black powder club have tried a number of things including tang sights, breech plug sights and a one with a red dot type scope. The last one does look out of place but does work out for him. Others have gone to a red or green tube in the front sight. It keeps 'em shooting so what ever works. It's a laid back kind of club with the majority of the fellas over 65.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 08:21:12 am »
The above sight was made by Lowell Haarer, he is a regular at the Alabama/Tennessee longrifle show in Jan. My friend said he had a bunch of these sights for sale at the show, I didn't know I needed one at last years show but will look him up this year.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 08:38:39 am »
I shot with an ol boy that used a piece of black tape with a little hole in it, he’d put it on his glasses. Used it like a peep. Keep your powder dry. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 07:34:58 am »
I tried the tape but with trifocal glasses I have little room to to place the tape and get it in a place so I can get everything lined up. It would be really hard to see a squirrel head in the dim woods through it as well.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 07:59:15 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 08:01:55 am »
I made some cupboard mock-ups of the above sight and found it is hard to get the height and hole size consistent the rifles sight alignment, I think I will buy one already made.