Author Topic: I Need Help Making a Board Bow  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: I Need Help Making a Board Bow
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 08:32:48 pm »
ahh ok here it is. Cheaper than b-50 and people say its better.

h ttps://www.3riversarchery.com/bcy-dynaflight-97-bow-string-material-d97-string-material.html
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 09:36:20 pm »
Kovok, where do you live?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kovoc

• I live in Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 04:56:46 pm »
I live in Nova Scotia

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 07:49:53 am »
String making goes along with bow making, it is not hard to do with a simple homemade jig.

A spool of B-50 is cheap and all you need to get started if you watch the string making videos on youtube.

You don't need to plunk down the extra money for fast flight string material like DF-97, B-50 will suit your needs just fine.

I just looked for B-50 at the major suppliers, Three rivers only had 1# spools, you only need 1/4#, Lancaster didn't have any. Ebay has plenty shipped free for $13-$14 for 1/4#, mostly funky colors but that doesn't matter.

I checked ebay again but looked for Dacron Bowstring Material this time and found all the colors.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 03:52:56 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Kovoc

• I live in Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 11:11:23 pm »
I saw 2 types of string on ebay, some of it was on rolls, but then other stuff was precut. What stuff do I need, I dont want to waste $30 CAD.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 07:43:49 am »
When you make strings you cut the thread to different lengths depending on how long your bow is so the finished string will fit your bow. You want to buy material on a spool, not precut.

The precut you are seeing are probably finished bow strings not loose strings.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 10:30:12 am »
As a wild guess you'll get 10-15 strings out of a 1/4# roll. If you plan on making more than one bow that's the way to go.

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 10:40:08 am »
Clay Hayes also has a youtube video on string making. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pkEKym0wyM&spfreload=10

Eric and a few others talked me into learning how to make strings and I'm glad they did!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 01:20:18 pm »
My old string jig, I forgot about taking that picture.

I put feet on my jig so I can hold it tightly in my lap and make strings.

You can get 6 or 7 strings out of 1/4# spool of B-50.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 02:04:28 pm »
I have never understood the need for a jig??  This is not meant to be argumentative...If there is a significant benefit I may build one.  I just estimate how much length I need for the given string and start twisting.  There is some waste I suppose.  Not much though...does the jig eliminate that?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 06:08:30 pm »
All the nails on the end of the jig stagger the lengths so you end up with a nice taper on your loop but you can do that with a pair of scissors. I think the biggest thing is, once you get used to it, that you can set the middle pin on whatever length you want and get pretty close to it. I say close because you twist a little different every time. There should be little or no waste unless you call extra twists in the loop waste. I think Flemish is a nicer looking string than a continuous but you can get the continuous the right length first try. It's a toss-up I guess.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 06:53:07 pm »
I have never understood the need for a jig??  This is not meant to be argumentative...If there is a significant benefit I may build one.  I just estimate how much length I need for the given string and start twisting.  There is some waste I suppose.  Not much though...does the jig eliminate that?
+2   I use a jig but its just to get a rough length,  yes there is waste but there is waste in everything we do weather its building bows,  leather work whatever.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."