Author Topic: How do I make arrows?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Kovoc

• I live in Nova Scotia, Canada
How do I make arrows?
« on: October 13, 2019, 08:30:56 pm »
I'm really new to the hobby (if you could say I do the hobby I dont evennnave a bow yet) and I want to start making some arrows now. What local materials could I use and what do I need (I have a source of feathers)? Oh and I live in a part of Canada called Nova Scotia so if possible could you find stuff I can find arounde here?  ;D

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: How do I make arrows?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 08:34:01 pm »
Whats your target bow weight? you have to spine your arrows correctly to your bow. for a 45# bow you need a arrow spined to 45#. that's the basics anyway. you will probably need to wait till your bows done to match the arrows to your bow.

you can order shafts from TSA. You would need to PM them or call them. If you want to make them on your own you can use shoots, or boards. people can explain this way better than me so ill let them do it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:53:22 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Kovoc

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 08:56:14 pm »
Oh I didnt know that, I thought arrows were a one-size fits all

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 09:03:41 pm »
yeah so did I! its really rewarding though and I feel like its fun.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=62991.0
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 09:26:16 pm »
Kovoc,

Where are you from?  The materials you use will depend a little on your local surroundings, but the possibilities are nearly endless.  I agree that you need to make a bow first, but you can start gathering materials and learning techniques.  look up youtube videos on bamboo arrows or making arrows from shoots or from prebought shafts.  also look up information on tuning, on spine, and fletching techniques.

Offline Kovoc

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 09:42:30 pm »
I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia  ;D

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 11:11:45 pm »
look for shoots--red osier dogwood, vibernum, fruitwood shoots such as apple or apricot, or wild rose--there are lots of shoots that can be used if you are willing to learn how to straighten them.  You can buy bamboo garden stakes from  a home improvement big box store.  You can split stock from straight-grained spruce or fir or cedar.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 12:03:09 am »
Kovoc,
Shoots are good, almost any will make arrows, some better than others.  You should be able to find red osier dogwood and viburnum in your area, might even stumble upon another primitive type bloke or shiela to help out!  Learn to cure, straighten, and spine the shafts!  Spine is the amount of flex a shaft has.  You may be able to link up with a First Nations group who will teach you their methods!  Turkey and goose wing feathers make very good fletching, just make sure you use the same wing on each arrow, don't mix left and right on the same arrow.  Sealing and finishing are also important.  Of course, it depends a lot on how primitive you want your arrows, some of us "elders" use things like fletching jigs, pre cut feathers, fletching tape or glue, and "store bought" shafts!  I think we are keeping TrueShaft in business (lol). He has good stuff, and is also in Canada! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 07:21:46 am »
The problem you are going to have now is arrows are made "for the bow" and without having a bow you can spine them to fit and shoot for that bow. Then you are just learning to make arrows that will not be used. You can learn some of the skills as such, but they may not be useable unless over spined and you can scrape the center of the arrow to reduce the spine later.

I shoot a 55# D bow and shoot a 42# spine in my bows. Bare shaft testing (look that one up) showed me that that is what I needed with 125 gran tips on my arrows.

Here is some stuff I wrote years back about arrow making. It would be good for you to read and learn some of the basics.
https://boweyrsden.wordpress.com/category/arrow-e-book/
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."