Author Topic: Finally blooded some knives  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Finally blooded some knives
« on: October 14, 2019, 10:31:51 am »
Not sure where this post belongs, but figured it's sort of a knife review so maybe it works in this section.

Tagged along on a buddy's elk hunt.  It was a rifle hunt so won't go in to too many details about that.

Out of the 5 knives I took, the recurved skinner I posted a few werks back ecxeeded my expectations.   I've never used this style before, in the past I prefered a somewhat short and wide blade with a lot of belly, but this one really allowed me alot of curve and worked really well, especially the thick hide around the neck area.

But the file knife I posted was hands down the best knife I've used on big game.  Really surprised me. The blade shape and handle just worked great.  My buddy and I both were reaching for that knife the most.  Worked equally well on skinning, separating joints, and boning the meat.

I stuck the file knife in a log, and in a retard moment, when I pulled it out with my gory fingers I torqued it and broke about 3/16" of the tip off  >:( 

Both kept their edges nicely.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Finally blooded some knives
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 11:11:39 am »
Hate it when that happens!  Well, you might be able to reshape the point without too much trouble.  Careful filing and maybe reharden.  Glad to hear they held up well to the job, and there is meat for the freezer.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 11:54:16 pm »
Thanks.  I'll take it slow on my belt grinder,  dunk in water frequently,  and fix that tip into a drop point or spear point...however it decides to turn out.  If I use a sharp, new belt I shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 11:01:16 am »
A deep belly and wide blade is my preference but I'd rather have a drop point. Whatever works for you is what works for you. Nice to do a test run with your own creation.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC