Author Topic: How would I make arrowheads  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Kovoc

• I live in Nova Scotia, Canada
How would I make arrowheads
« on: October 14, 2019, 05:28:12 pm »
I want to try to find some suitable rocks to make arrowheads. I don't have flint around here so are there any alternatives? I don't want to have to pay for a bunch of rocks so it would be nice to know of a few other rocks I could use  :KN

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: How would I make arrowheads
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 12:11:43 am »
Try to google the geological data for Nova Scotia, check the libraries for info on what the First Nations people's used.  Rock tends to age well, so there should be some laying around! (lol) (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 08:28:57 am »
glass is free or very cheap and could make good arrowheads
it' also good if you're not very experienced and want to try without wasting valuable rocks
the bottom part of many glass bottle is easy to detach and suitable for knapping

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 08:12:35 am »
The closest thing that I'm aware of near you is Mt. Kineo rhyolite over on the island in Moosehead Lake, Maine.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kineo

From what the Peabody Museum at Harvard University claims it was quarried and distributed throughout the northeastern woodland region.

Not the easiest solution, I'd imagine, but be a pretty awesome adventure going to get it.  Went fishing up there once before I started flintknapping.  Would love to go out there exploring now.

There is always glass!
1’—>1’

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 09:31:57 am »
toilet tank lids, ceramic tile, landscaping rocks, tv screens and of course glass... tvs however have silica on backside and I recommend wearing a mask as not to breath that stuff.... all are great to learn reduction on and make nice points too...gut

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 09:21:04 pm »
Ryolite is not what you want to learn on. Find some glass or buy some Obsidian, it's usually pretty cheap.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?