Author Topic: Trade Bow Redfish Backed Live Oak  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Bayou Ben

Trade Bow Redfish Backed Live Oak
« on: October 15, 2019, 01:56:25 pm »
Here's my trade bow all finished up.  This one was a challenge to say the least with the curvy grain and it not wanting to take to heat.  In total I believe I had to pull out the caul and heat gun 5 times.  The last heat treat seemed to be the ticket as it held pretty well.
My sister is an avid kayak fisherwoman and was kind enough to provide the redfish for the skins.  I prepared it according to the various fish fleshing threads. 
I hope my victim likes it. 
59" ntn, 50 lbs at my victims draw length. 

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Trade Bow Redfish Backed Live Oak
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 02:25:38 pm »
Love it!!
Big fan of all the wiggles and the look of the reddish skins. I enjoyed watching the build along through the bow trade thread.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 02:45:06 pm »
Excellent bow, Ben and the tiller looks spot on as does the redfish skin backing. Spot on!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 02:48:49 pm »
  Ben,
           Excellent craftsmanship...The bend and balance is dead nutz! Love all the character and those skins are gorgeous...Really nice build my friend...
                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 03:00:36 pm »
Real eye catcher their. Nice work.

Offline Halfbow

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 03:58:59 pm »
Beautiful! Love those fish skins. What do you think of live oak as a bow wood? Don't see that one too often.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 04:13:05 pm »
Wow Ben that came out super nice. Love the skins, the knarly twists and especially the tiller. Awesome job!
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 04:22:16 pm »
OH my but I'm a sucker for that kinda bow. Beautiful bend Ben. The skins look great and dang I just really dig the wiggles.
I really should catch up on the bow trade but I haven't had time for more than a quick peek at the site.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 04:49:25 pm »
Seriously nice bow. Well done. My shipping address is …

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 05:51:08 pm »
she's an absolute stunner! I really like the way those skins came out, I have a few fish skins dried and ready to go so I think I'll put them on my next one. did you pain/stain/dye the wood black under the skins? stunner tiller and profile too, great string angles for a shorter bow.

Offline M2A

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 06:29:12 pm »
Super nice Ben, top notch. The lucky victim of that best not set it down anywhere, those skins would make that bow disappear in the woods :)
Mike

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 06:58:46 pm »
Those skins made an already stunning bow even better.  Great craftsmanship on that live oak Ben.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 07:57:00 am »
Now there is something you don't just see everyday.  That is beautiful.
That's something that exemplifies the region of the country.  It's too bad that the oak isn't top notch bow wood because that grain sure is pretty.

Well done, for sure.
1’—>1’

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 06:15:42 pm »
That's a beauty.Great job. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 08:45:52 am »
That's a bunch for the compliments guys. 

Halfbow: It took a while for me to get used to it, but once live oak is dried out and given a good heat treat it performed really well.  The bow felt snappy and didn't take much set.  It's hard to explain but it seems to want to hold onto moisture and its a very stubborn wood.  It's in the white oak family but is much denser than any other oak, at .8-1.0 specific gravity.

Rakau: No stain or paint under the skins.  I wanted it to blend in as much as possible with the rest of the bow.

Special thanks to Don Burchett as he helped me along with this build.  He sure does have an eye for these bendy's.

Here's the side profile that I forgot to include above.