Author Topic: Ipe and Hickory hunting bow dims  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Stonedog

Ipe and Hickory hunting bow dims
« on: October 28, 2019, 11:26:12 am »
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I need some thoughts on bow dimensions.

Target weight 50-55# at 25" (problems of a Hobbit draw length); this is for hunting whitetail deer from the ground

My thoughts:

1/8" thick hickory backing glued to 3/4" thick Ipe
64" NTN;  D-Belly
1 1/8" wide at handle, straight tapers to the nocks

I'll be gluing on a thin, 1/4" thick ipe handle piece to the belly

That'll bring the depth from back to belly to 1 1/4"

Questions:

1. Should I make it 1" wide for this depth?
2. I do want a small, stiff handle section. Are the fades correct?

I shoot full 28" length ash arrows that run 550-600 total grain weight for hunting as well

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ipe and Hickory hunting bow dims
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 11:41:22 am »
Your dimensions sound good. The 3/4" thick ipe at the handle will eliminate the use of a power lam at the handle area. I'd make a 4" handle and 2" fades and make the added 1/4" handle stack piece the same width as the rest of the handle area and cut it out later when you are sure the string lines up at brace. I'd also add 3" to 4" of Perry Reflex at glue up. Leave the tips wide(at least 3/4" until first brace too. This way you can align the string at brace by removing wood from one side of the tips or the other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 01:03:06 pm »
wear a mask working ipe that stuff is bad.. not too mention hell on your tools... your ipe will end up less than 3/8ths for that poundage.. or mine did on boo backed... it dulled my scraper in no time.. gut

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 05:47:50 pm »
For a 25" draw I would cut the length down to 60".  The 3/4' Ipe is overkill but it will help with a stiff handle.  I wouldn't go less than 1 1/8" wide in fact I would go a bit wider
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 02:00:55 am »
As Marc I'd start a wee bit wider and do a pyramid taper to 3/8ths nock.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 08:52:50 am »
Thanks guys!

I’ve made a few ipé longbows already but it’s been a looooooong time since I made a bow!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 11:48:39 am »
You could reduce the thickness of the backing by a 32nd with no problem and you can do this even after it's glued to the belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC