Author Topic: antique bow  (Read 2405 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
antique bow
« on: October 30, 2019, 09:22:44 am »
All right guys, so the only information I have is this bow is from a Norwegian museum and measures 89 cm ttt.  I'd love to know what you think, maybe a finno-ugric type?  Crossbow - must be surely???  Birch perhaps?  Ash maybe? Sinewed/not sinewed?  Have at it, what do you reckon? 

Offline bassman

Re: antique bow
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 09:29:24 am »
That converts to a little over 35 inches long. Maybe a youngster's bow.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 05:12:53 pm »
My first guess as well was a bow for a crossbow.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 07:32:03 pm »
i agree with, it looks like a crossbow prod to me. way to thick for a kids bow at the least.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 07:33:52 pm »
Maybe not. Those Norwegian kids are tough ;D ;D ;D

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 07:43:26 pm »
The vikings had alot of contact with the celts. Could be spoils of war, captured from a conquered tribe of leprechauns.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 09:20:09 pm »
Looks sinewed. Doubt a kids bow would be made like that. Wasted resources... With the set it's taken  it been braced a looooong time. So  maybe it was a quickly accessible weapon left strung to grab and fire an arrow when under attack or something?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 11:42:41 pm »
The vikings had alot of contact with the celts. Could be spoils of war, captured from a conquered tribe of leprechauns.
Hobbits maybe, they were rather stout lads!  As for leprechauns, you can't see 'em to conquer
'Em! (lol). If it is a crossbow prod, there should markings indicating wear points.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 04:33:39 am »
I had wondered if it were sinewed,  still wondering if there's a glue line visible through the right hand side of the bow, if so then maybe a birch/compression pine combo might be possible?  Anyway, war-spoils might make it a pictsie long-bow and you don't want the Nac Mac Feegle after you