Author Topic: Way to fix/stop this?  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Way to fix/stop this?
« on: October 15, 2019, 08:33:33 pm »
Wow! Flintknappings got me! Any way i can stop or fix this?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline JEB

Re: Way to fix/stop this?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 08:42:06 pm »
Explain what it is. I am guessing it is a stick with a copper butt cap on it and you are using it as a bopper. If so I use oak for the wood and don;t hit the rock with the handle but with the copper cap.

As my dad would say, " don't go at it like you are beating snakes"

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 03:37:54 am »
If that’s what I think it is, you might be hitting a little hard, depends on the material though. Wood will do that no matter what. What you can do to at least prolong your indirect percussor’s life is to but about 5 layers of masking tape on where you’re hitting. You could also try using a harder wood like hickory or those plastic thing JackCrafty uses.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 06:05:23 am »
Its an ishi stick that i use like jackcrafty. I might buy the plastic thing he has.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 08:36:24 am »
Hi Deerhunter.  I'm wondering if starting your flintknapping journey trying to sort out indirect percussion is too much at first.
There is a formidable amount to learn that can only be gained by breaking a whole lot of rock.  Just wondering if perhaps sticking to straight forward techniques and a deep understanding of platform preparation/centerline/preform may be a better journey in the beginning?  Just a thought...

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

1’—>1’

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 09:45:22 am »
Its an ishi stick that i use like jackcrafty. I might buy the plastic thing he has.

That may be the way to go.  I've tried about everything and along the way found that any indirect percussion set up where I had to strike on wood didn't work well.  Seems like the wood (not matter how hard it seems) just soaks up too much of the energy of the blow and gives an inefficient, "dead" feel.  I use Marty Reuter's shaft punch type set up and strike only on the antler "punch", never on the wood. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 11:02:41 am »
Deerhunter,
Can't give much guidance on the problem, but I would try to find a knapper in the are that can show you the techniques.  There should be someone in the Anthropology Dept. at the university who either has the expertise, or knows someone locally who does.  A few sessions with a good knapper will work wonders for your technique. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 11:22:59 am »
Deerhunter,
Can't give much guidance on the problem, but I would try to find a knapper in the are that can show you the techniques.  There should be someone in the Anthropology Dept. at the university who either has the expertise, or knows someone locally who does.  A few sessions with a good knapper will work wonders for your technique. 
Hawkdancer

found one! hes been knapping for around 30 yrs, im gonna meet with him soon! been talking to him for about a week. hes also ok with my age.

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 04:48:39 pm »
OK,you are doing  indirect percussion. Get rid of the pine stick and use delrin rod. You will have to google for info on where to buy it.

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 02:16:24 pm »
jackcrafty make indirect percussion look easy.. its not.. haha... the way he reduces rock I would just throw away is awesome.. I have tried his technique with not very good results..lots to learn on how and where to put pressure and how hard to hit.. I just need to practice on my trash rocks till I get the hang of it.. gut

Offline xin

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 05:41:46 pm »
Jackcrafty's way has worked well for me.  My knapping was going nowhere until I discovered his indirect method.  It allows you to make accurate strikes where you need them.  It does not mean you ignore all the rules of napping like hitting below the centerline and grinding platforms.  This is all still necessary.  What you need to do is get some Delrin rods or use some hard dense wood like Bodark for your handle.